West Virginia University Health Science Center is currently
accepting applications for Director/Liaison of HSC Diversity,
Equity, and Inclusion About the Opportunity
As the Director/Liaison of HSC Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion,
you will be the primary point of contact for WVU HSC Diversity,
Equity and Inclusion initiatives. In this role, you will play a
critical part in communicating and collaborating with the WVU
Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, the six HSC DEI
Committees and other DEI mission-focused groups.
You will chair the HSC DEI Council, which meets quarterly and is
responsible for setting HSC-wide goals and priorities for
diversity, equity and inclusion efforts which are then recommended
to the Vice-President and Executive Dean of Health Sciences. As the
Director/Liaison; you will develop, administer, and evaluate
programming that aligns with HSC and institutional strategic goals
to address DEI while working with both the Associate Vice President
for HSC Faculty Affairs and the Vice President of Diversity, Equity
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for
things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits,
What you’ll do:
- 13 paid holidays (
staff holiday calendar )
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year
(for when you’re ill, for when you need time to care for sick
family, for your own, or your family’s, regularly scheduled medical
appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of
people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as
well as others considered to be members of your household living
under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of
health insurance and other benefits (this position is a
benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match,
eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks.
more retirement benefits information ? Check out retirement
health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ’s.
- Wellness programs
- Maintain a close working relationship with DEI Committee Chairs
across the HSC and be aware of all ongoing efforts in DEI at the
HSC in order to communicate and collaborate with university-wide
- Will be the point person for implementation of university-wide
DEI efforts at the HSC working closely with the Director of HSC
Faculty Affairs, Culture and Inclusion and the Associate Vice
President for HSC Academic Affairs.
- Co-develop and implement a new HSC Strategic Plan for
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Develop and implement programming to educate and train faculty,
staff and students to appreciate diversity and to understand and
exhibit behaviors that promote a culture of inclusive
- Develop and implement train-the-trainer sessions for Diversity,
Equity and Inclusion topics to increase the number of HSC trainers
who can meet the training needs of the five HSC schools.
- Lead efforts to formulate and update Health Sciences policies
related to diversity and inclusion.
- Manage the HSC DEI budget in conjunction with the HSC Associate
Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Assist the Vice President of Health Sciences and the HSC
Communications Team with the drafting of press releases and
messaging regarding diversity and inclusion issues.
- Promote an atmosphere of community in which communication of
HSC efforts towards DEI initiatives is consistent and prioritized
in collaboration with HSC and School Communicators.
- Work with the WVU Foundation to ensure they are fully informed
of ongoing efforts and opportunities for donors, with a specific
focus in the first two years on establishment of scholarships to
recruit and retain underrepresented minority groups.
- Supervise the HSC Diversity Student Outreach Coordinator and
will also be provided part-time administrative support.
- Work closely with existing student organizations and the
student representatives to the DEI Council to continuously get
feedback to guide future efforts and to provide an additional point
of contact for students of minoritized or marginalized backgrounds
who need consultation related to their experience on any of the WVU
- Master’s Degree
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience involving:
- engagement in leadership of diversity and inclusion efforts in
an academic setting;
- Ability to be a leader or possess leadership qualities such as:
vision, pro-activeness, being a self-starter, positivity,
confidence and creativity.
- Keen understanding of and commitment to diversity issues in
general, within higher education and within academic science and
- Ability to work cooperatively, collaboratively and effectively
with all types of people and diverse groups.
- Demonstrated active listening skills
- Ability to supervise and manage people
- Excellent time management and ability to balance multiple
- Capacity to set and attain meaningful goals in alignment with
the vision of the HSC, the Division of Diversity, Equity and
Inclusion and the University
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including
the ability to facilitate difficult dialogues, effectively listen
to all points of view and ability to build consensus on initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to envision, identify, develop and
implement systems, policies, training and programs to foster a
healthy and inclusive educational environment.
- Competence in utilizing data-driven strategies to assess and
evaluate programs and services focused on improvement.
- Demonstrated problem solving, critical analysis, initiative,
judgment and decision-making skills.
- Terminal degree in related area
- Experience specific to the fields of science and healthcare or
related fields is preferred;
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless
endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most
passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits
for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our
students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best
out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university,
one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity
employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender
equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff,
and students, and invites applications from all qualified
applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender
identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics,
disability, or Veteran status.