Director/Liaison HSC Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The HSC Diversity, Equity and Inclusion team at West Virginia University is seeking applictions for a Director/Liaison. The Director/Liaison HSC DEI will be the primary point of contact for WVU HSC Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives and will play a critical role in communicating and collaborating with the WVU Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, the six HSC DEI Committees and other DEI mission-focused groups. The incumbent will chair the HSC DEI Council, which meets quarterly and is responsible for setting HSC-wide goals and priorities for diversity, equity and inclusion efforts which are then recommended to the Vice-President and Executive Dean of Health Sciences. The Director/Liaison will develop, administer and evaluate programming that aligns with HSC and institutional strategic goals to address diversity, equity and inclusion. The Director/Liaison is a direct report to the Associate Vice President for HSC Faculty Affairs and a secondary report to the Vice President of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
In oreder to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Be the primary point of contact for WVU HSC Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives and will play a critical role in communicating and collaborating with the WVU Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, the six HSC DEI Committees and other DEI mission-focused groups.
- The incumbent will chair the HSC DEI Council, which meets quarterly and is responsible for setting HSC-wide goals and priorities for diversity, equity and inclusion efforts which are then recommended to the Associate Vice-President for HSC Academic Affairs and the Vice-President and Executive Dean of Health Sciences.
- The Director/Liaison will maintain a close working relationship with DEI Committee Chairs across the HSC and be aware of all ongoing efforts in DEI at the HSC in order to communicate and collaborate with university-wide DEI leadership.
- The Director/Liaison will be a point person for implementation of university-wide DEI efforts at the HSC working closely with the Director of HSC Faculty Affairs, Culture and Inclusion and the Associate Vice President for HSC Academic Affairs.
- Co-develop and implement a new HSC Strategic Plan for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Develop and implement programming to educate and train faculty, staff and students to appreciate diversity and to understand and exhibit behaviors that promote a culture of inclusive excellence
- Develop and implement train-the-trainer sessions for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion topics to increase the number of HSC trainers who can meet the training needs of the five HSC schools.
- Lead efforts to formulate and update Health Sciences policies related to diversity and inclusion.
- Manage the HSC DEI budget in conjunction with the HSC Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Assist the Vice President of Health Sciences and the HSC Communications Team with the drafting of press releases and messaging regarding diversity and inclusion issues.
- The Director/Liaison will promote an atmosphere of community in which communication of HSC efforts towards DEI initiatives is consistent and prioritized in collaboration with HSC and School Communicators.
- The Director/Liaison will work with the WVU Foundation to ensure they are fully informed of ongoing efforts and opportunities for donors, with a specific focus in the first two years on establishment of scholarships to recruit and retain underrepresented minority groups.
- This position will supervise the HSC Diversity Student Outreach Coordinator and will also be provided part-time administrative support.
- The Director/Liaison, in collaboration with the HSC Diversity
Student Outreach Coordinator will work closely with existing
student organizations and the student representatives to the DEI
Council to continuously get feedback to guide future efforts and to
provide an additional point of contact for students of minoritized
or marginalized backgrounds who need consultation related to their
experience on any of the WVU HSC campuses.
- Master's degree required. Terminal degree in related area is preferred.
- Five (5) years of prior engagement in leadership of diversity and inclusion efforts in an academic setting; experience specific to the fields of science and healthcare or related fields is preferred;
- Three (3) years of experience collaborating with academic teams, groups, administration
- Ability to be a leader or possess leadership qualities such as: vision, pro-activeness, being a self-starter, positivity, confidence and creativity.
- Keen understanding of and commitment to diversity issues in general, within higher education and within academic science and medicine.
- Ability to work cooperatively, collaboratively and effectively with all types of people and diverse groups.
- Demonstrated active listening skills
- Ability to supervise and manage people
- Excellent time management and ability to balance multiple priorities
- Capacity to set and attain meaningful goals in alignment with the vision of the HSC, the Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and the University
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to facilitate difficult dialogues, effectively listen to all points of view and ability to build consensus on initiatives and issues.
- Demonstrated ability to envision, identify, develop and implement systems, policies, training and programs to foster a healthy and inclusive educational environment.
- Competence in utilizing data-driven strategies to assess and evaluate programs and services focused on improvement.
- Demonstrated problem solving, critical analysis, initiative,
judgment and decision-making skills.
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at http://hr.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer, and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown
- Academic Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown
- Chief Academic Officers & Vice Presidents Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown