Department Head of Financial Planning, Housing and Consumer Economics
Posting Number F0884P Working Title Department Head of Financial Planning, Housing and Consumer Economics Department Central HR-HR Search Group About the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia ( UGA ), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities, is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education ( https://www.uga.edu/ ). UGA is currently ranked among the top 15 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,700 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 39,000 students including over 30,000 undergraduates and over 9,000 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 18 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.
About the College/Unit/Department
The Department of Financial Planning, Housing and Consumer Economics has approximately 425 undergraduate and 110 graduate students. Undergraduate programs include: Consumer Economics, Consumer Journalism, Financial Planning, and Housing with an optional emphasis in Residential Property Management. The department is staffed by 22 faculty members who have expertise in the areas of consumer information and policy, consumer analytics, financial planning and decision making, housing and residential property management, college students’ financial literacy, and economic well-being of families. Extension and public service faculty provide practical, scientifically-based information to Georgia residents to improve the quality of lives and communities. The department provides research and outreach in support of local government through the Housing and Community Research Center and coursework in support of the degree programs in Financial Planning, housed in the Charles Schwab Financial Planning Center. The ASPIRE Clinic provides in-person and telehealth holistic counseling and education service for clients in need of marriage and family therapy, mental health therapy, financial planning, and nutrition counseling. Additional information may be found at: http://www.fcs.uga.edu/ and http://www.uga.edu/.
College/Unit/Department website http://www.fcs.uga.edu/ Posting Type External Retirement Plan TRS or ORP Employment Type Employee Benefits Eligibility Benefits Eligible Underutilization Advertised Salary Commensurate with Experience Anticipated Start Date 01/01/2022 Effective End Date (for Limited-Term postings) Job Posting Date 05/03/2021 Job Closing Date Open until filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
Applications received by July 6, 2021 will receive full consideration. Position is open until filled. Anticipated start date is January 1, 2022.
Complete applications will include a letter of application addressing the qualifications and ability to meet the expectations, a vita, and names and contact information for three references. References will not be contacted without prior permission of candidate. All applicants must apply online at https://www.ugajobsearch.com. Please see the job posting at: https://www.ugajobsearch.com/postings/193777
To request a descriptive Opportunity Profile for this position, provide a nomination, or seek additional information, please contact Mary Ann Cottle, Primary Consultant with the UGA Search Group, 706-542-5769 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Letters of recommendation or a simple nomination should include the name and contact information for the nominee.
Location of Vacancy Athens Area EEO Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR (email@example.com).
Classification Title Department Chair/Head AC FLSA Faculty Rank Professor Contract Type Academic (9 mo.) Tenure Status Tenured Minimum Qualifications
Terminal degree appropriate for the discipline
The College of Family and Consumer Sciences at the University of Georgia is launching a search for leadership of the Department of Financial Planning, Housing and Consumer Economics ( FHCE ). Nominations and applications for candidates both internal and external to the department are encouraged.
The Department Head will inspire an expansive vision for the future and effectively interact with a constituency that includes academic, government, industry, alumni, and students. This position requires strong leadership capabilities, the ability to secure research and development funding, and it is expected that the successful candidate will lead the faculty and its programs to a higher level of excellence.
The ideal candidate will have:
• A proven record of scholarly achievement, clear and convincing evidence of leadership and administrative effectiveness, and a commitment to excellence in research, undergraduate and graduate education, and public service.
• Demonstrated leadership at a management level including, program development and accredited programs.
• Evidence of a national and/or international reputation in a substantive area of the discipline and strengths of the department.
• Excellent leadership, interpersonal, communication, and managerial skills.
The Department Head reports directly to the Dean of the College of Family and Consumer Sciences with annual reviews and third year administrative reviews informed by the faculty of the unit. The Department Head is a member of a College leadership team committed to the integration of the missions of research, instruction, and extension and outreach in a research land-grant institution.
The position is a nine-month academic year appointment with administrative and summer months’ salary supplement while serving as Department Head. Time allocation is 60-70% administration and 30-40% research or teaching, to be determined based on the interests and strengths of the candidate and fit with the needs of the unit at the time of hire.
• All candidates must have an earned doctorate in financial planning, housing, consumer economics or related area.
• Internal candidates must be a full professor with tenure by the effective date of the appointment.
• External candidates must be:
- either a full professor or an associate professor with five years of experience to qualify for appointment at the rank of full professor, and
- eligible for tenure upon appointment at the time of hire. To be eligible for tenure upon appointment, candidates must have been tenured at a prior institution and bring a demonstrably national reputation to UGA .
Relevant/Preferred Education, Experience, Licensure, and/or Certification
• Demonstrated administrative and organizational skills, as evidenced by successful performance in: personnel management; budget and fiscal management; program planning, management, oversight and evaluation; and resource procurement including grants and contracts.
• Outstanding scholarly achievements and research productivity as well as a record of submitting and obtaining federally-funded grants.
• Involvement in pivotal networks in the discipline.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies Physical Demands Is this a Position of Trust? Yes Does this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources? Yes Does this position require a P-Card? No Is having a P-Card an essential function of this position? No Is driving a responsibility of this position? No Does this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care? No Does this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications) No Credit and P-Card policy
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.
• Provide outstanding leadership and administrative oversight, understand complex finance and budgetary information, handle sensitive personnel matters, and provide effective and responsible management of available resources;
• Recruit, mentor and advance faculty and staff through the steps of appointment, reappointment, promotion and tenure, and support recognition appropriate to position and rank, thereby building a high quality and cohesive faculty;
• Serve as a strong advocate for the unit, actively engaging faculty, alumni and donors; provide intentional and active leadership to initiatives and work collaboratively with external relations to maximize the visibility and the reputation of the unit;
• Report annually to the Dean on the teaching, research and public service programs of the unit including assessments of the performance of faculty members in the department, giving special attention to quality in areas of assigned responsibilities in teaching, research and public service;
• Build relationships with disciplinary professionals, agencies, and associations in the state, region, and nationally;
• Communicate and work effectively and collegially with individuals on and off campus;
• Build on existing strengths in the College and UGA including the ASPIRE Clinic, entrepreneurship, data literacy and communications skill development initiatives.
• Foster innovation and entrepreneurship while building consensus for new initiatives and ideas;
• Develop a collegial environment committed to inclusiveness, affirmative action, and diversity and foster an environment of shared governance; and
• Appreciate and respect the various disciplines and missions of the College.
Percentage Of Time 100 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- List of References with Contact Information
- Other Documents #1
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens
- Other Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens
- Education Administration & Leadership Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens