Senior Construction Manager
- San Jose State University
- California, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- May 4, 2021
The Senior Construction Manager is responsible for all efforts associated with successfully managing multiple University development and construction projects. This includes all aspects of project management during the development, planning, design, construction, and closeout phases of the project life cycle. This senior level position is required to collaboratively interface with variety of campus stakeholders including senior administrators, staff, faculty, students, colleagues from the CSU Chancellor’s Office, agencies having jurisdiction including those at the Federal, State, and local level, and various professional consultants, contractors, and vendors.
The Planning Design and Construction unit of Facilities Development & Operations provides services to a University campus spread across nine sites comprised of +150 acres, 81 buildings, and more than seven million gross square feet. Maintenance & Operations employs approximately 250 full time permanent staff and up to an additional nine part time, seasonal, or contract staff. In FY20-21, the assigned operating budget for the unit is $49 million not including funds associated with purchased utilities or maintenance and repair projects.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
- Manages all aspects of assigned projects through the full course of the project life cycle including planning, design, construction, and closeout phases. Independently leads and direct projects requiring high levels of functional integration and involving multiple disciplines to be managed. This includes those associated with real estate development, capital improvements, major maintenance and repair, capital renewal, deferred maintenance, and infrastructure improvements.
- Ensures all assigned projects are managed in alignment with the University's Capital Outlay Management Plan as well as any corresponding CSU or State of California regulation governing University projects. Coordinates as necessary throughout all project phases with the Campus Deputy Building Official, Construction Administrator, and others.
- Represents the University by leading and collaborating with the project team (campus groups, university officials, project architects, engineers, contractors, inspectors, etc.) during all phases.
- Conducts feasibility studies including needs assessments, programming, conceptual design, environmental and regulatory analysis, cost analysis/financial planning, and similar work efforts required to determine overall project feasibility.
- Reviews and develops a comprehensive scope of work, budget, and schedule. Evaluates and recommends the project delivery method, design documentation needs, necessary consulting services, and other supporting efforts necessary to successfully deliver assigned projects.
- Directly responsible for managing all aspects of the project budget working collaboratively with the Business & Administrative Support Services team. To include maintaining accurate expense tracking and cost projections, projecting cash flows, and monitoring trends that affect the timely and cost-effective completion of assigned projects. Proactively brings forward issues or challenges and proposed solutions designed to successfully contain and mitigate risk.
- In collaboration with the Business & Administrative Support Services and the campus Strategic Sourcing team, develops request for proposals/bid packages and other necessary documents required to advertise and award contracts required to complete assigned projects. Participates in the bid evaluation and makes recommendations for award.
- Manages professional service agreements and monitors the work effort of architectural, engineering, testing and inspection, and other professionals contracted by the campus to ensure all services are provided in a timely manner. Tracks and monitors progress and reviews invoices with recommendations for approval or otherwise.
- Develops inspection and regulatory compliance plan for assigned projects. Leads and oversees implementation of such plans including coordination of all required inspections, testing, and other activities. Supervises construction inspectors and consulting engineers and ensures the quality and timeliness of inspections and testing to ensure all code and regulatory requirements are adhered to. Reviews testing and inspection reports and the inspector's daily diary to ensure full understanding of project issues and status. Reports all failed inspections or tests to the Campus.
- Manages construction contracts. Tracks and monitors work in place and reviews pay applications with recommendations for approval or otherwise. Evaluates and makes recommendations concerning proposed contract changes. Ensures ongoing compliance with contractual requirements.
- Acts as a liaison and interfaces with local and regional jurisdictions having authority, regulatory and entitlement agencies, utility providers, and governing bodies. Informs, advises, and recommends course of action necessary achieve approvals or resolve issues or challenges.
- Broad skills and advanced knowledge in one or more of the following areas: real estate development, architecture, civil, mechanical or electrical engineering or construction management.
- Thorough knowledge of project management practices including that required to plan, lead and oversee large and complex construction projects and real estate developments. To include in-depth knowledge of typical real estate and public works construction processes, and skill to manage all phases of planning, design and construction of complex projects.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable state and federal codes and regulations pertaining to the real estate development and construction industry including understanding of the California Building Code, the American with Disabilities Act and the Safety Orders of the Division of Industrial Safety for the State of California as such pertains to large public works construction projects. Ability to apply such knowledge successfully for assigned projects.
- Advanced skills and knowledge in project scheduling including task/resource loading, and critical path sequencing methods required to run an efficient project. Ability to conduct in-depth analysis and review of complex project schedules to guide adjustment as needed to manage schedule and risk.
- Knowledge in the use of multiple project delivery methods (including design-bid-build, design-build, collaborative design-build, CM at-risk, etc.,) and ability to select appropriate methods based on project plan.
- Demonstrated experience managing assigned projects within the approved scope and agreed upon schedule and budget expectations including creativity in managing difficult schedule and budget challenges toward successful resolution.
- Demonstrated financial management skills necessary to prepare, manage, oversee, track, and monitor detailed project budgets, analyze funding allocations, evaluate independent cost estimates, and review, track and approve payment requests.
- Demonstrated experience and proven ability procuring, selecting and managing consultants and contractors including maintaining compliance with the contract documents, scope of work, permitted plans, schedule, and budget.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills with proven ability to organize and manage teams, including internal design and operations staff, external contractors and technical consultants.
- Advanced skills and knowledge in the project cost estimating including creation of independent estimates and ability to analyze and review those submitted by others.
- Thorough analytical skills required to ensure adherence to requirements and assure a high level of quality control. Detail oriented to accurately review contracts and other documents necessary to successfully deliver assigned tasks and projects.
- Ability to read and understand proposals, plans, blueprints, process drawings, contracts, purchase orders, and specifications for all phases of construction.
- Experience effectively using personal computer software and electronic communications including digital graphic software for presentations, CAD drafting systems, geographical information systems (GIS), computer-based design and architectural applications, and complex project scheduling and analytical applications.
- Ability to implement a customer (constituent) service approach, with a commitment to high ethical standards and to present work to a wide variety of audiences.
- Bachelor's degree in architecture, engineering, real estate development, construction management, business or a related field OR which may be obtained through equivalent experience such as might be attained through five years of project management
- Five years of demonstrated project management experience in a lead role for all phases of complex construction projects delivered within budget and schedule requirements
- Valid driver’s license
- Professional license in architecture, mechanical, electrical, or civil engineering.
- LEED AP certification as granted by the US Green Building Council
- Certified Access Specialist as granted by the Department of the State Architect
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification as granted by the Project Management Institute.
- Certifications for code-related inspections as issued by the International Code Council
- Six to ten years of demonstrated project management experience in a lead role for all phases of complex real estate development or capital construction projects.
- Two years of experience/training in one or more of the following areas: real estate development, construction project management, cost estimating, scheduling and schedule analysis, contract management, and/or financial analysis/management.
- Demonstrated experience managing real estate development and/or construction projects for a State facility, College or University, or other multi-facility commercial complex.
- Experience working in a University setting.
Classification: Administrator II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $10,834/month - $13,334/month
CSU Salary Range: $4,583/month - $14,713/month
The final hiring salary will be commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: May 16, 2022 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert