Collection Strategies Librarian
DEPARTMENT: DiMenna-Nyselius Library
Oversee the selection, acquisition, accessibility, and deselection of library collections, in all formats, in support of the teaching, learning, and research at Fairfield University.
UNUSUAL WORK CONDITIONS: Physical requirements: mobility; must be able to lift materials off shelf. Requires some evening and weekend hours.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL NEEDED:
EDUCATION: Graduate degree in Library & Information Science (MLS or equivalent) from an ALA-accredited program, second Master’s in subject-specific field, or equivalent experience, is preferred.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE: Two years or more experience managing print and electronic resources in an academic library. Knowledge of best practices, current trends and issues in collections management. Experience negotiating with vendors and working with consortia. Experience with budgets, resource sharing, approval plans, electronic resource management, archives, and collections assessment. Communication, organization, analytical, and problem-solving skills. Strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion with a desire to develop and steward diverse and inclusive collections. Progressive supervisory experience. Strong commitment to service.
- Administration certification in Alma and Primo.
- Experience with the following library systems: ALMA/Primo or
other discovery platforms, EZproxy, Springshare, bepress
DigitalCommons, and OCLC's Illiad, Connexion and Worldshare.
- Knowledge of copyright and intellectual property rights related
SUPERVISION OF PERSONNEL:
Library Specialist for Non-Licensed Resources
Library Specialist for Licensed Resources
Interlibrary Services Coordinator
Student assistants (2-4)
REPORTS TO: Associate Dean for Technical Services and the Budget
- Will provide leadership on current and emerging trends in
collection development, management, and assessment. Will chair
Collection Development and Management Committee (CDMC), and advise
library leadership on collections issues.
- Possess the ability to communicate well about collections
- Work collaboratively to create a cross-unit collaborative
environment with Acquisitions/Collections, ILL-Resource Sharing,
Cataloging/Metadata services, Archives/Special Collections, and
- Monitor all resource fund expenditures and track against budget
- Working collaboratively with the Systems Librarian, run monthly
and annual reports and compile statistics of the library’s
collections as needed.
- Working collaboratively with the Assessment Librarian, provide
comprehensive assessment and analytics reporting as needed.
- Serve as an advocate for the library and university by
participating in local, regional, and national professional events,
including committees and professional development activities.
- Work with the University Archivist as needed on issues
pertaining to archives and special collections.
- Participate in the Library’s Faculty Partnership Program as a
- Promote safe and secure working conditions. This
- Promoting the proper utilization of equipment, materials and
- Notifying supervisor immediately of any unsafe working
- Promoting the proper utilization of equipment, materials and staff,
- Possess a thorough understanding of integrated library systems
(Alma) including familiarity with acquisitions, cataloging, and
serials processes including management of resource records, order
records, vendor tracking, usage statistics, licensing terms, and
other account and subscription information.
- Ensure that the library is making use of the most advantageous,
fiscally responsible, and technologically efficient modes of
resource acquisitions, and utilizing existing (or new) technologies
and systems to efficiently assess and provide access.
- Serve as a back-up administrator for Discovery and the ILS
(Primo/Alma and Resource Sharing (OCLC products).
- Develop relationships with all vendors and consortial partners
to identify and procure needed resources.
- Responsible for or manages the direct acquisition of library
materials and services with adherence to campus financial and
fiscal reporting requirements.
- Working closely with Acquisitions and Cataloging/Metadata
services staff, oversee the management, maintenance, and
accessibility of the physical collection: all monographs, including
standing orders, print journals, and microform collection.
- Working closely with Systems and Cataloging/Metadata services,
oversee management, maintenance, and accessibility of electronic
resources (databases, ebooks, ejournals, streaming media),
including activation in Discovery/ILS (Primo/Alma), and negotiating
and maintaining licenses with vendors/publishers, renewals,
- Working closely with Systems and ILL services, oversee the
management, maintenance, and accessibility of Library collections
for resource sharing purposes.
- Manage the acquisition and evaluation of material gifts and
- Leads the evaluation and deselection of materials of all
resources, regardless of format, individually and as part of the
Collection Development and Management Committee (CDMC).
- Coordinate Library-wide efforts regarding physical collections
and space utilization.
Supervise and support staff. This includes:
- recruiting, hiring, and training staff,
- coaching and mentoring staff, as appropriate,
- meeting with all staff members individually and as a
department/unit on a regular basis,
- overseeing the flow and quality of work, and schedules for
- communicating effectively with staff concerning department and
- evaluating staff performance.
- participating in the discussion and formulation of library
policies, procedures, in the resolution of problems, and
dissemination of information,
- monitoring developments in librarianship through attendance at
meetings and workshops, membership in professional associations,
and the reading of professional literature,
- promoting an image of efficiency, professionalism, and courtesy
throughout the University community and consistent with the
- contributing to the public relations and marketing of the
- acting as a responsible committee and/or task force
- attending staff meetings as requested,
- communicating effectively with supervisor concerning pertinent
Library and/or University matters,
- hiring, training, and supervising student workers as
Perform other related duties as directed or dictated by responsibilities.
Duties may be changed and/or be added at any time.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Academic - Admin
All offers of employment are contingent upon a satisfactory background check.
Fairfield University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to excellence through diversity, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from women, persons of color, Veterans, and members of historically underrepresented groups. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to all qualified individuals with a disability.
Load a resume or CV first, then upload supporting documents including a cover letter at the bottom of the third page under the "My Experience" section where it says to upload a Resume/CV. You will be able to upload up to 5 other documents in this section. You will be unable to edit your application, so please have all documents available before applying. Faculty Positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email the additional documents to the applicable contact in the job description. Staff positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Library & Information Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield