Associate Dean for Technical Services and the Budget
DEPARTMENT: DiMenna-Nyselius Library
Serve on the Library’s Leadership Team and assist with the overall administration of the library. Manage library operations in the absence of the Dean. P rovide leadership, management, and strategic direction for the functional areas of Collections, Cataloging, Interlibrary Loan, Systems, the Institutional Repository, and Archives & Special Collections . Responsible for the fiscal planning, reporting, and management of the Library's budget and endowments. Supervise and support staff. Participate in the library’s faculty partnership program as a functional specialist. Engage in the professional work of the library.
UNUSUAL WORK CONDITIONS: Physical requirements: mobility; must be able to lift materials off shelf. Requires some evening and weekend hours.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL NEEDED:
EDUCATION: Graduate degree in Library & Information Science (MLS or equivalent) from an ALA-accredited program, second Master’s in subject-specific field, or equivalent experience, is preferred.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE: Five or more years of increasingly complex and responsible professional academic library experience. Demonstrated supervisory experience.
REQUIREMENTS: Demonstrated skills and knowledge of academic library management and organization, and academic library budgets. Strong leadership and decision-making skills. Ability to lead organizational change, inspire innovation, and delegate responsibility appropriately. Ability to ensure confidentiality around sensitive issues. Ability to lead in a shared decision-making environment. Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Strong commitment to service. Proven commitment to nurturing staff development and professional growth. Ability to create effective goals and objectives and help others do the same. Excellent organizational and time management skills. Experience in manipulating data in order to analyze, customize, and format appropriate reports. Demonstrated knowledge of integrated library systems. Demonstrated ability to communicate, both orally and in writing, to a variety of audiences.
- Experience with Workday finance module.
- Experience with the following library systems: ALMA/Primo or
other discovery platforms, EZproxy, Springshare, bepress
DigitalCommons, and OCLC's Illiad, Connexion and Worldshare.
- Knowledge of copyright and intellectual property rights related
SUPERVISION OF PERSONNEL:
- Collection Strategies Librarian
- Metadata Strategies Librarian
- Systems Librarian
- University Archivist
REPORTS TO: Dean of the Library and University Librarian
- Serve on the Library’s Leadership Team. This
- assisting the dean and the other associate dean with the
overall administration of the library, which may include policy
development, administrative decision making, strategic planning,
assessment, personnel matters, fiscal resource management,
facilities management and planning, etc.,
- working to enhance the library’s leadership role within the
Fairfield University community,
- coordinating communication across the library to foster an
environment of collegiality and respect,
- encouraging collaboration among teams and departments within
the library to ensure quality experiences for users of the
library’s collections and services,
- preparing reports and presentations for internal and external
- collaborating with the assessment librarian on quantitative and
qualitative assessment activities to support data driven planning
and decision making in order to connect the Library’s strategic
initiatives to the University’s mission.
- Manage library operations in the absence of the Dean of the
Library, and represent the dean as needed, at local, regional, and
- Oversee library budget and expenditures. This
- analyzing, preparing, monitoring, and reconciling the overall
- preparing periodic financial reports, as necessary,
- negotiating contracts/licenses to purchase and/or lease
- overseeing and approving payments from the library budgets and
- Provide leadership, management, and strategic direction for
the functional areas of Collections, Cataloging,
Interlibrary Loan, Systems, the Institutional Repository, and
Archives & Special Collections. This includes:
- encouraging teamwork, full utilization of all existing systems,
and exploration of emerging technologies and web development,
- overseeing Library-wide efforts regarding physical collections
and space utilization,
- overseeing the development, management, and preservation of the
library’s collections and related systems with a continued focus on
enabling and enhancing the discovery of these collections which
support the teaching, learning, and research activities of students
- guiding the development and application of analytical methods
to assess and describe trends in collections expenditures and
- coordinating the lifecycle of library resources from the point
of acquisition through to discovery and use, and working across the
library to improve workflows and enhance user experience,
- providing oversight and strategic maintenance of the
- possessing the ability to communicate well about budget and
technical services priorities,
- serving as an advocate for the library and university by
participating in local, regional, and national professional events,
including committees and professional development activities,
- developing and implementing library policies and
- establishing priorities for departmental projects and
- Supervise and support staff. This includes:
- recruiting, hiring, and training staff,
- coaching and mentoring staff, as appropriate,
- meeting with all staff members individually and as a
department/unit on a regular basis,
- overseeing the flow and quality of work, and schedules for
- communicating effectively with staff concerning department and
- evaluating staff performance.
- Participate in the library’s faculty partnership program as
a functional specialist.
- Engage in the professional work of the Library. This
- participating in the discussion and formulation of library
policies, procedures, in the resolution of problems, and
dissemination of information,
- monitoring developments in librarianship through attendance at
meetings and workshops, membership in professional associations,
and the reading of professional literature,
- promoting an image of efficiency, professionalism, and courtesy
throughout the University community and consistent with the
- contributing to the public relations and marketing of the
- acting as a responsible committee and/or task force
- attending staff meetings as requested,
- communicating effectively with supervisor concerning pertinent
Library and/or University matters,
- hiring, training, and supervising student workers as
- Promote safe and secure working conditions. This
- promoting the proper utilization of equipment, materials and
- notifying supervisor immediately of any unsafe working
Perform other related duties as related or dictated by responsibilities.
Duties may be changed and/or be added at any time.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Academic - Admin
All offers of employment are contingent upon a satisfactory background check.
Fairfield University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to excellence through diversity, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from women, persons of color, Veterans, and members of historically underrepresented groups. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to all qualified individuals with a disability.
Load a resume or CV first, then upload supporting documents including a cover letter at the bottom of the third page under the "My Experience" section where it says to upload a Resume/CV. You will be able to upload up to 5 other documents in this section. You will be unable to edit your application, so please have all documents available before applying. Faculty Positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email the additional documents to the applicable contact in the job description. Staff positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email them to email@example.com
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Education Administration & Leadership Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Library & Information Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield