Director of Communications
Position is responsible for managing the University’s public
relations and marketing communications activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Develops and manages public relations and marketing
communications strategies and implements related action plans that
support the University in accomplishing its mission and
2. Initiates and maintains contact with leaders in each of the
University’s schools and colleges to develop and manage proactive,
systematic marketing communication plans and activities.
3. Develops and manages public relations activities to promote the
University’s programs and services among CBU employees, community
groups, news media, institutions of higher education, Southern
Baptist congregations and denominational entities, and various
other audiences and publics.
4. Oversees preparation and dissemination of news releases,
articles and photographs and coordinates community and media
5. Supports development and management of media contacts and
information and represents CBU at University-sponsored
6. Manages the writing, editing and publishing of “The Roundtable”,
“CBU Family” and other University publications.
7. Coordinates strategic development of video productions including
conceptualization, scripting, talent coordination, photography,
editing, duplication and distribution.
8. Works closely with other Marketing and Communication Division
staff to integrate marketing communication initiatives and public
relations activities as needed and to ensure that the institutional
messages are presented in a clear and consistent manner to each
9. Monitors and maintains current University information and
assists with editorial and procedural decision-making.
10. Provides strategic direction for the University’s Internet
marketing and Web site optimization.
11. Recruits and supervises direct reports and student
12. Coordinates outsourced projects with vendors to accomplish
13. Maintains searchable photography database of campus activities
and personnel for use in marketing and communication
14. May work and/or travel weekends as needed.
15. Create actionable plans to both grow and engage with followers
through social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram,
Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube.
Directly supervises employees. Carries out supervisory
responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and
applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, and
training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work;
appraising performance; disciplining employees; addressing
complaints and resolving problems.
Other Knowledge Skills and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
Thorough knowledge and use of print and electronic media to
achieve marketing objectives.
Adequate knowledge of social media platforms and management tools
(Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Sprout Social,
General knowledge of Search Engine Optimization ( SEO ) and
internet ranking for web content.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills at a level
appropriate to the duties of the position.
Knowledge of: general office methods, procedures and
Ability to represent the University effectively to a variety of
Strong organizational skills and detail oriented.
Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and
Excellent interpersonal skills, and telephone courtesy.
Ability to relate positively and effectively with a diverse
faculty, staff and student body.
Skill in the use of personal computers and related software
Ability to initiate and manage multiple projects
Ability to work in a collaborative environment.
Ability to travel and work weekends as needed.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university; or five to
seven years related experience and/or training; or equivalent
combination of education and experience.
Remove from Web
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
State and Federal law permit California Baptist University to
discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its
purpose. The University does not discriminate contrary to either
State or Federal law.
Quick Link to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Required Documents Optional Documents
- * Are you a Christian?
- * Do you attend church regularly?
- If no, please explain (required):
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you both familiar with and not in conflict with the
fundamental doctrines and practices of the California Southern
Baptist Convention as stated in the Baptist Faith and Message dated
June 14, 2000? (Please see above link for more information)
- Yes (I am familiar and not in conflict)
- No (I am in conflict or not familiar)
- Other Document
- Other Document 2
- Other Document 3
- Other Document 4