The New York State Youth Justice Institute (hereafter the Institute) is seeking to hire a Research Associate. The Institute is a collaborative initiative between the University at Albany, the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services, and the New York State Office of Children and Family Services. Housed at the University, the Institute's purpose is to ensure that at-risk youth in New York receive the best and most effective services. Key responsibilities of the Institute include the following activities:
- evaluation of youth justice initiatives within New York State;
- accumulation and dissemination of information on national evidence-based and evidence informed practices;
- grant writing and administration to support the Institute’s growth and impact; and
- providing technical assistance and trainings to youth justice practitioners to enhance the outcomes for youth, families and overall public safety throughout New York State.
This is a full-time position beginning summer 2021 or later based in Albany, NY at the NYS Youth Justice Institute. The position will allow for dynamic experience that offers both breadth and depth in the realm of youth justice research, intervention and policy work. The Research Associate position offers a number of excellent training opportunities, including collaboration with senior and junior members of the team, exposure to university-community research partnerships, and cross-institutional networking.
Under supervision of the Executive Director, the responsibilities of the Research Associate include:
- Planning, organizing, and conducting quantitative and/or qualitative research and evaluation to inform programmatic decisions;
- Designing, testing, and evaluating methods and protocol for research projects;
- Analyzing, summarizing, and organizing collected data;
- Preparing systematic literature reviews;
- Translating scientific findings to general audience;
- Preparing reports and other manuscripts for publication and/or presentation;
- Identifying extramural funding opportunities and participating in grant writing;
- Coordinating and managing multiple research projects;
- Participating in meetings with State and local-level partners and stakeholders; and
- Assisting in the supervision of undergraduate and graduate students.
PhD in Criminal Justice, Social Welfare, Sociology, Public Policy, or a related field, plus two years of relevant experience; or Master’s degree in any of the aforementioned fields of specialization plus 5 years of full-time professional experience.
Substantive knowledge of juvenile justice and emerging adulthood research and policy in the United States.
Substantive knowledge of best practice literature, evidence-based programming, and implementation science.
Demonstrated ability to respond effectively to multiple assignments and priorities supporting multiple projects and activities.
Strong organizational and time management skills, oral and written communication skills, and advanced interpersonal and relationship building skills working in a team environment.
Experience working with web-based survey tools (e.g., Qualtrics, SurveyMonkey), virtual conference applications (e.g., Zoom, Webex, Microsoft Teams), and data analysis and/or visualization software (e.g., Stata, Tableau).
Must address ability to work with a culturally diverse population.
Experience conducting evaluation research, particularly in New York State.
Strong commitment to social justice and demonstrated research record focuses on equity in the areas of race, gender, and/or SOGIE (sexual orientation, gender identity and expression).
Demonstrated experience in grant writing.
Data visualization experience.
Experience working in government and/or the non-profit sector is preferred.
One-year commitment required with possible option to continue contingent on satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
Applications only accepted on‐line at https://albany.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=129252
- Cover letter stating all the required minimum qualifications and any of the applicable preferred qualifications
- Writing sample
- Names and contact information for 3 professional references