Monitoring & Data Technician
Position Monitoring & Data Technician Full Time/Part Time Full Time Job Type Regular Position Summary
The position is responsible for supporting NMFWRI’s ecological monitoring and restoration activities on public and private lands throughout New Mexico, Arizona, and Colorado. Activities are related to all phases of restoration from research and planning through project implementation and capacity building.
Duties and Responsibilities
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
• Perform field measurements and assessments of forest, wetland, and riparian resources and ecological indicators, including data recording and quality assurance. Work is often performed in remote locations over difficult terrain.
• Perform computer entry of field data including using Microsoft Access or other database software with attention to detail.
• Assist the monitoring specialist in generating summary reports and analysis of field and vegetation treatment data.
• Perform field mapping of project sites using Global Positioning System and Geographic Information Systems technologies.
• Take a leadership role in crew preparation, management, and accomplishment of field tasks.
• Assist NMFWRI staff and NMHU faculty in conducting training related to ecological measurement, treatment, and analysis techniques. During the field season months this includes participation and leadership in the field monitoring crew, training student interns or work-studies when available, and overnight travel.
• Perform routine cleaning and maintenance of NMFWRI equipment.
• Participate in the accomplishment of riparian, wetlands, forest, and watershed restoration treatments.
• Maintain regular attendance and clear communication with supervisors and colleagues in office field, and online working environments.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
• EDUCATION : Bachelor’s degree in a natural resource field including coursework in, water resources, terrestrial ecology, GIS, and natural resource management.
• EXPERIENCE : Familiarity with ecological monitoring and safety protocols.
• EXPERIENCE : 1 year experience in the measurement of riparian and wetland ecological indicators.
• EXPERIENCE : 1 year experience with plant ID in the range of southwest wetland and riparian vegetation types.
• EXPERIENCE : 1 year experience in woody and non-woody invasive vegetative species management.
• EDUCATION : Wilderness First Aid or higher.
Special Conditions for Eligibility Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Familiarity with ecological measurement and techniques.
• Knowledge of basic forestry, vegetation management, and ecological science concepts.
• Knowledge of GNSS -based field data collection techniques and ESRI geographic information systems software.
• Knowledge of plant ID and particularly in the range of southwest vegetation types.
• Effective time management and ability to achieve goals and independently undertake tasks with minimum of direct supervision.
• Ability to work as a member of team with diverse skills and backgrounds.
• Ability to communicate both orally and in written form.
• Standing Frequently
• Walking (cross country) Frequently
• Bending Frequently
• Squatting Frequently
• Climbing (difficult terrain) Frequently
• Kneeling Frequently
• Must have or be able to obtain and maintain a valid US Driver’s License and Defensive Driving Certificate.
• Must be willing to work overtime, weekends and evenings as required.
Pay Rate 37,500 Work Location/Campus Center Las Vegas, NM Campus EEO Statement
New Mexico Highlands University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. We are committed to the University values of diversity, accessibility, excellence, and responsiveness.
For disabled access or services call 505-454-3242 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit the link below for more information regarding affirmative action and equal opportunity:
Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW
Posting Number AS481P Open Date 05/04/2021 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
A complete online application must include: 1) Letter of interest/cover letter that highlights relevant knowledge, skills, and abilities; 2) Resume; 3) Names, telephone numbers and email address of three (3) professional references in the online application; 4) copies of unofficial transcripts. Candidates who are invited for on-campus interviews will be required to submit official transcripts. References will be contacted in conjunction with on-campus interview. Upload required materials with online application. For disabled access or services, call (505) 454-3242 or contact Human Resources at email@example.com NMHU IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Quick Link https://nmhu.peopleadmin.com/postings/6536 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting
- Internal Job Posting
- Agency Referral
- Personal Referral
- * What is the highest level of education attained?
- High School Diploma
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- Are you available to work in the evening (6 pm to 10 pm)?
- Are you available to work weekends?
- Cover Letter/ Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcripts Conferring Required Degree
- Letter(s) of Recommendation
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Las Vegas
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Las Vegas
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Las Vegas
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Las Vegas
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Las Vegas