Dean, College of Business and Public Management
University of La Verne
Dean, College of Business and Public Management
Job Description Summary:
The College of Business and Public Management (CBPM) is the largest academic unit at the University of La Verne, currently serving some 3,000 students on its La Verne, online, and regional campuses. The College prides itself on its heritage and commitment to a progressive and innovative management education using the teacher-scholar model. Students are offered a rich variety of integrated experiential learning opportunities that allows them to apply their knowledge to real life situations. The College offers 8 undergraduate programs, 8 master degrees, and a Doctorate in Public Administration.
As a member of the university's senior academic team, the Dean is the chief academic, administrative, and financial officer of the College of Business and Public Management and reports to the Provost. The Dean is a member of the University Management Council and serves on the Deans Council and Provost's Council.
The Dean, in conjunction with the faculty, is responsible to develop and enact a set of strategic priorities related to the vision and mission of the University and the College of Business and Public Management. The core mission includes broad access, transformative educational experiences and a path to a successful and satisfying career with the La Verne Experience and other distinctive programs in the College. The Dean is responsible for faculty and staff hiring, mentorship, development, and evaluation, including promotion and tenure for faculty. The Dean is responsible for the traditional business and public management degree programs, both at the undergraduate (traditional and non-traditional) and graduate levels, its general education requirements, and in the regional and online programs. The Dean is responsible for maintaining and developing strong relations with the business community, both local and national.
The University of La Verne is a private not-for-profit university founded in 1891 located in La Verne, California. The core values that we live by are Ethical Reasoning, Diversity and Inclusivity, Lifelong Learning and Community and Civic Engagement.
If you're passionate about these values, join us at the University of La Verne!
- Act as chief academic, administrative, and financial officer of the College.
- Retain and graduate students through expanding and improving the educational experience including academic advising and career support services for all students in the College, work closely with College faculty, department and program chairs, to advance the educational mission in accordance with the principles of shared governance, lead and support accreditation initiatives, continue to diversify the curriculum, and encourage and manage the growth and vitality of the academic disciplines through program reviews and assessment.
- Promote and support faculty excellence in teaching, research, and service, including oversight of the College’s promotion and tenure process; mentor or oversee mentoring of junior faculty and review all annual growth plans including student feedback, recruit and retain high quality and diverse faculty and staff, including opportunities for professional development. Ensure that all faculty and staff evaluations are done at least once a year and approve such evaluations.
- Work closely with the Provost, the other Deans, and the University Management Council on University-wide strategic initiatives.
- Develop the budget for the College and advocate for resources, as well as engage in community outreach and the promotion of the College’s visibility, manage and develop new executive certificate programs and conferences, engage in fundraising activities independently for the College as well as in conjunction with University Advancement, and oversee the Small Business Development Center, the Center for Career and Professional Development, and the CBPM Advising Offices.
- Develop relations with the private, public, and not-for-profit sectors in the Inland Empire and surrounding communities to develop/support (1) internships, (2) placements & (3) research opportunities for faculty.
- Ph.D. or appropriate terminal degree in Business, Management, Public Administration or other related field from an accredited program or school.
- 12 years of teaching and research as a regular college/university faculty member at a regionally accredited institution.
- 6 years of significant administrative experience, at the department chair level or above, at a regionally accredited 4-year private non-profit or public university.
- Knowledge/experience regarding accreditation standards and process.
- An appreciation, commitment, and understanding of La Verne Core Values.
- Skill and experiences in creation, development, and maintenance of external relationships domestically and abroad.
- An appreciation of, commitment to, and demonstrated record of research and scholarship.
- Commitment and record of leading and partnering on curricular and programmatic innovation and creative developmental initiatives.
- Interdisciplinary and entrepreneurial managerial acumen—ability to connect and manage across a diversity of programs and curriculums.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strong relations with the business community including private, public, and non-profit sectors.
- At minimum, an Associate Professor with academic qualifications for appointment at the rank of full professor.
- Significant administrative management experience, at the department chair level or above, at a regionally accredited 4-year private non-profit or public university.
- Demonstrated record of: commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion; faculty advocacy within a shared governance structure; excellence in teaching, scholarship and research; commitment to promoting excellence in teaching, scholarship and research at the undergraduate and/or graduate level; commitment to inclusive leadership, engaging a diverse and productive faculty, staff, and student body; team building and collaborative initiatives; budget management; and strategic planning initiatives.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Effective decision making and organizational skills.
- Tenured Associate or Full Professor.
- Experience with traditional and non-traditional undergraduate and graduate student population at a comprehensive university.
- Demonstrated ability to advance fundraising initiatives on behalf of the College.
- Demonstrated record of collaborative initiatives with corporate and/or community partners.
- Demonstrated outreach and stewardship of university alumni.
Location: La Verne Central Campus
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: http://laverne.edu
Located in Southern California, the University of La Verne offers a distinctive and relevant educational experience to a diverse population of students, preparing them for successful careers and a commitment to lifelong learning across the liberal arts and professional programs. The academic units of the not-for-profit university include the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Business and Public Management, the LaFetra College of Education, and the College of Law. The university offers both undergraduate and graduate programs, including degree programs tailored for working adults. The university's central campus is located 30 miles east of Los Angeles in the historic Old Town section of La Verne, a city with a population of approximately 35,000 at the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. The university also has eight regional campuses throughout California and the College of Law campus in Ontario, California. The university is classified as a Carnegie Doctoral Institution with moderate research activity. Core values are reflected throughout all curricular and co-curricular programs, its emphasis on close professor-student interaction, personal support of its students, and its diversity.
The University of La Verne prides itself in being reflective of the diversity of Southern California. Approximately 80 percent of its nearly 8,500 students come from diverse backgrounds and the U.S. Department of Education has designated the university as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI). With 80,000 alumni, the university fulfills a critical community function in educating students from underserved populations, many of whom are the first generation in their family to attend college.
The University of La Verne is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employment or employees on any basis prohibited by state and federal law. University of La Verne hires and promotes individuals based on their qualifications and is consistent with applicable state and federal laws, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, disability, medical condition a or sexual orientation