Assistant Director of Student Engagement/Hall Director
The Assistant Director of Student Engagement is a 12-month, live-in position under the direction of the Associate Dean of Students. Assistant Directors have residence hall director responsibilities to promote and maintain a positive residence hall living-learning environment consistent with the University of Saint Francis mission and conducive to academic achievement, personal growth, and building a Christian community. Additionally, Assistant Directors provide leadership over aspects of campus-wide student activities and programming.
- Models and Models and assists in the creation of a positive community and creates a culture where every resident experiences a sense of belonging within the residence hall community and the USF campus as a whole.
- Creates an environment in which individual differences are respected and celebrated.
- Maintains a high visibility in the hall and with residents and is approachable and compassionate with all students; knows names and pertinent information about residents.
- Oversees management of all registered student clubs, including oversight of officer and advisor training, club budgets, club transitions, on-boarding, and the club application process.
- Coordinates campus-wide prevention and wellness programming, including educational programming on topics such as alcohol and other drugs, bystander intervention, sexual assault awareness and prevention, mental health, etc.
- Engages in the development of program and learning outcomes, objectives, action plans and assessment.
- Directly supervises Resident Assistants and conducts weekly staff meetings and regular one-on-one meetings with RAs.
- Assists in the selection and hiring process of Resident Assistants; assists with planning, implementing, and evaluating fall, spring, & summer Residential Life staff training.
- Assumes full responsibility for opening and closing hall(s) each semester and assists with summer housing.
- Initiates and assists hall community members in establishing and maintaining agreed behavioral guidelines/expectations for the academic year.
- Mediates conflicts between residents.
- Assists RAs with roommate agreements, conflicts, and violation of policies as needed, including crisis and/or emergency situations.
- Develops proactive ways to communicate and foster community.
- Confronts and reports student behavior that is not in alignment with the Code of Student Conduct and University policy; Serves as a hearing officer in the student conduct process and maintains records.
- Assumes a team-oriented approach and collaborates with departments across campus to best refer and retain students.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Communicates with the Executive Director of Student Engagement and Residential Life via weekly one-on-one meetings.
- Tours hall on a weekly basis to ensure cleanliness and report maintenance and safety concerns.
- Present and available to advise, refer, and support students throughout their USF experience to appropriate resources.
- Participates in on-call responsibilities; while on call, assist with crisis/emergency response and be visible and present at student & university programming
- Holds regular office hours.
- Takes part in committee work as assigned.
- Assists with data entry and record keeping.
University of Saint Francis (USF) employees demonstrate a commitment to the University’s mission and support of its Catholic and Franciscan traditions. Employees provide the intellect, empathy and ability to serve our students and community. The USF Way of serving is a source of pride for many employees. To provide a consistently high level of quality experience across our university, we provide the following service expectations for all employees. These standards have been tailored by position and responsibilities and are incorporated into performance evaluations.
Standard #1: Provide opportunities for deeper conversations, prayer and reflection.
Standard #2: Utilize best practices in communication and service.
- Apply care to your words and deeds to ensure respect for others.
- Commit to follow through without exception and with quality.
- Offer additional assistance after serving as in, “How else may I assist you?”
- Respond promptly, whether in person, via phone, or email.
Standard #3: Recognize and celebrate milestones and achievements.
Standard #4: Use resources wisely and support green initiatives.
- Master’s degree is required.
- Minimum of one academic year of Residential Life (i.e. RA, etc.) experience is required.
Knowledge and Skills –
- Demonstrates well-developed interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Exhibits excellent organizational skills and follow through.
- Balances multiple tasks simultaneously and works well both independently and collaboratively with others.
- Must be willing to work evenings and weekends.
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds; enjoys spending significant amounts of time with people.
- Demonstrates a team attitude with a student-centered approach and respect for confidentiality.
- Must be, and remain, insurable for driving by the university’s automobile insurance company without additional premiums.
Located in Fort Wayne, Indiana with campuses in Crown Point, Indiana, and Lafayette, Indiana, the University of Saint Francis is a private Catholic university enrolling 2,400 students. Rooted in the Catholic and Franciscan traditions of faith and reason, the University of Saint Francis engages a diverse community in learning, leadership and service.
At the university, you will experience Franciscan values that encourage us to:
- Reverence the unique dignity of each person
- Encourage a trustful, prayerful community of learners
- Serve one another, society and the Church
- Foster peace and justice
- Respect creation
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Wayne
- Student Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Wayne
- Residence Life Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Wayne
- Student Activities & Services Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Wayne