Program Manager, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Program Manager, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Job Identification: 10000570
This position will support the Basic Sciences in the School of Medicine in implementing the mission and values of the Basic Sciences regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion. By engaging in effective communication with all stakeholders (faculty, staff, and trainees) the position will provide leadership to ensure that efforts to promote diversity, equity and inclusion receive widespread buy in leading to positive change. The position will have responsibility for collecting data to evaluate and improve strategic approaches as needed, as well as prepare reports as requested by Basic Science and University leadership.
The Vanderbilt School of Medicine Basic Sciences strives to create an inclusive environment for training, research, and discovery, where faculty, staff and trainees from diverse backgrounds and identities experience respect and a sense of belonging; and where they are supported and empowered to reach their full potential. The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion unit consists of four departments each focused on basic biomedical science research and training. Our mission to create an inclusive community is based on the following core principles: building an inclusive community is a shared responsibility, building an inclusive community leads to excellence, and building an inclusive community enables the benefits of diversity to foster creativity and accelerate discovery.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Advance the mission of the School of Medicine Basic Sciences in diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Provide logistical support and assistance in delivering programming to promote inclusion across the basic sciences (e.g., Culturally Aware Mentor Training, Fair Play Workshops, etc.)
- Represent the Assoc. Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion as necessary in the following:
- Coordinating meetings of representatives of diversity, equity and inclusion committees from Basic Science departments and training programs
- Meeting with students, postdocs, staff, and faculty on an ad hoc basis to discuss individual or group concerns, opportunities, etc.
- Serve as representative of Basic Sciences for interactions with University offices and committees related to diversity, equity and inclusion (Vice-Chancellor for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, Provost’s Office of Inclusive Excellence, etc.)
- Maintain relationships with key partners and stakeholders on campus (e.g., deans and members of senior leadership) and in the community (e.g., representatives of Meharry, Tennessee State University)
- Implement an effective communication strategy (website/emails) for informing all members of the Basic Sciences of events/seminars/trainings related to diversity, equity and inclusion sponsored by the DEI committees, the Office of Inclusive Excellence and/or the Vice-Chancellor for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, other colleges and schools, and VUMC. Coordinate closely with Dean’s staff in this key task.
- Provide progress reports as requested to the Dean and Vice-Chancellor for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. Maintain necessary data to document progress in diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Maintain a list of outreach activities that are sponsored by various programs and DEI committees so that interested trainees/staff/faculty can volunteer.
- Participate in or collaborate with national organizations that promote diversity, equity, and inclusion (e.g., SACNAS, ABRCMS, AISES, NAS Action Collaborative, HHMI).
- This leader is expected to hold a Ph.D.
- At least five years’ experience within a higher education setting in a role requiring frequent interactions with faculty, staff, students, and postdocs is necessary.
- Evidence of developing and implementing programs for diversity, equity and inclusion is necessary.
- Evidence of outstanding organizational and communication skills is necessary.
- Evidence of outstanding management skills is necessary.
- Evidence of knowledge of current issues and challenges in higher education is necessary.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and
At Vanderbilt University, we are intentional about and assume accountability for fostering advancement and respect for equity, diversity, and inclusion for all students, faculty, and staff. Our commitment to diversity makes us who we are. We have created a community that celebrates differences and lets individuality thrive. As part of this commitment, we actively value diversity in our workplace and learning environments as we seek to take advantage of the rich backgrounds and abilities of everyone. The diverse voices of Vanderbilt represent an invaluable resource for the University in its efforts to fulfill its mission and strive to be an example of excellence in higher education.
Vanderbilt University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Please note, all candidates selected for an offer of employment are subject to pre-employment background checks, which may include but are not limited to, based on the role for which they have been selected: criminal history, education verification, social media review, motor vehicle records, credit history, and professional license verification.
Vanderbilt is a community of talented and diverse staff & faculty!
At Vanderbilt University , our work - regardless of title or role - is in service to an important and noble mission in which every member of our community serves in advancing knowledge and transforming lives on a daily basis. Located in Nashville, Tennessee, on a 330+ acre campus and arboretum dating back to 1873, Vanderbilt is proud to have been named as one of “America’s Best Large Employers” as well as a top employer in Tennessee and the Nashville metropolitan area by Forbes for several years running. We welcome those who are interested in learning and growing professionally with an employer that strives to create, foster and sustain opportunities as an employer of choice through:
- Working and growing together as a community of communities... we are One Vanderbilt.
- Providing a work environment where every staff and faculty member can be their authentic and best self, while providing the resources and opportunities to learn and grow.
- Encouraging development, collaboration, and partnership both internally and externally while fostering the value that every member of the Vanderbilt community can lead and grow regardless of title or position.
We understand you have a choice when choosing where to work and pursue a career. We understand you are unique and have a story. We want to hear it. We encourage you to apply today so that you might become a part of our story.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Nashville
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Nashville
- Affirmative Action & Equal Opportunity Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Nashville
- Student Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Nashville
- Minority & Multicultural Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Nashville