Director of Philanthropy
The Director of Philanthropy must understand the benefits of an independent school education and be able to inspire others about Miami Country Day School’s mission, vision, and program. The Director of Philanthropy provides strategic vision, leadership, and direction for all fundraising, alumni relations, stewardship activities, donor cultivation and planned-giving. The Director of Philanthropy leads all philanthropy staff to cultivate relationships. The Director of Philanthropy provides information about Miami Country Day School and its development policies to prospective and current families and employees. Responsibilities include directing staff efforts and managing on-going operations to meet fundraising initiatives. Oversees all operations of The Philanthropy Department ensuring the School’s current and future financial needs are met or exceeded.
Essential Functions and Tasks
- Collaboratively design, implement, and oversee a comprehensive fundraising program designed to broadly support the mission and strategic initiatives of the school.
- Prepare, manage and execute annual and long-range development strategies.
- Partner with the Governance and Nomination Committee to help identify potential Board members.
- Partner with the Development Committee to develop and implement longer-term advancement initiatives and engage the Board of Trustees in fundraising goals and initiatives.
- Oversee the creation of alumni relations initiatives and events.
- Oversee the Philanthropy Office and appropriate development materials, mailings and publications.
- Continually evaluate and redesign where appropriate all aspects of the Philanthropy process with the goal of maintaining a strategic revenue stream.
- Represent the school at various gatherings and conferences.
- Maintain relationships with all constituents and local community members and aggressively work to market the school in coordination with the Advancement team.
- Promote a culture of inclusion within the Philanthropy program and school community at large.
- Work closely with Parents Association to cultivate volunteer & community engagement.
- Ensure that a comprehensive planned gifts program is implemented and that appropriate strategies and procedures are in place to cultivate, solicit, and steward donors.
- Design and implement effective department practices and programs, ensuring successful outcomes for annual and ongoing fundraising and capital campaigns.
- Set clear priorities and expectations for the development staff with success matrix that are reviewed regularly.
- Oversee parent special events to make sure that parent programs and events are consistent with development and school goals.
- Guide the President/Head of School’s outreach to donors.
- Participate in the acknowledgement and recognition of donors.
- Coordinate development efforts with the Marketing and Communications Department to ensure consistency of message.
- Participate in the administrative management of the School by serving as member of the Head of School Committee. Collaborate with senior leadership on strategic school initiatives beyond fundraising.
- Create and manage the Philanthropy Department budget.
- Travel on an as needed basis to conduct donor solicitation and stewardship visits and to attend regional alumnae gatherings.