This individual will conduct laboratory based basic and applied research on new assays for rapid on-site plant pathogen diagnostics and lab-based infective propagule quantification, development of molecular diagnostic assays for detecting and quantifying antibiotic/ fungicide resistance mutations real-time, design, optimize and validate novel plant pathogen diagnostic and quantification assays using isothermal PCR, classic PCR, chip technologies, ddPCR, qRT-PCR or other similar DNA or RNA platforms or electromagnetic bead technologies, all directed towards plant pathogens of apples and stone fruit (bacteria, fungi, viruses). The successful candidate is expected to independently design, organize and manage lab experiments, budget and order supplies, optimize DNA and RNA diagnostic and quantitative protocols, gene expression, conduct DNA/RNA extractions and experimental trials or any other closely associated tasks related to this research. The candidate is expected to begin new laboratory experiments (including assay validation) for internal and future sponsored research projects under the direction of the project leader, Dr. Srđan Aćimović. The candidate will also be responsible for writing grant proposals, monitoring budget spending, preparing progress reports, collecting and analyzing research findings, presenting in professional meetings and writing research and extension publications. The individual is also expected to mentor graduate students, supervise technicians, and staff and collaborate with faculty and scientists at Virginia Tech and other research institutes. This is a 1year position that is renewable, contingent on performance and available funding.
- Master's degree in Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Microbiology, Molecular Plant Pathology, Biomedical sciences or plant or microbial science-related field.
- Strong scientific writing skills.
- Good statistical analysis skills.
- Skills with microorganism manipulation in vitro and in vivo.
- Ph.D. degree in Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Microbiology, Molecular Plant Pathology, Biomedical sciences or plant or microbial science-related field.
- Research experience in diagnostic assays for microorganisms.
- Familiarity with basic cell and molecular biology techniques including DNA/RNA manipulation, gene and genome sequencing, microscopy, nucleic acid extraction, cloning, and gene expression analysis.
- Grant writing experience and research publication record in pathogen diagnostics and quantification sphere.
Commensurate with Qualifications
May 28, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
Must have a driver's license check
Must have an acceptable and safe driving record
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Anthony Wolf at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: May 6, 2021
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Biotechnology & Bioengineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg