Assistant Director of Academic Advising
The Virginia Tech School of Neuroscience is seeking exceptional applicants for an Assistant Director of Academic Advising. This full-time position is for an individual who is passionate about promoting all dimensions of student success.
The Assistant Director works directly with the Department Head and Director of Undergraduate Programs to continuously evaluate the processes and functions of the advising unit to ensure exceptional student support services by facilitating student retention, degree attainment, and student satisfaction. They will stay up-to-date on all policies, academic procedures, special programs, and best practices for the School’s advising unit. In addition, they will develop creative initiatives that emphasize proactive advising and provide ongoing training and support to the School’s Professional Academic Advisors.
Other responsibilities include offering guidance and engaging with undergraduate students through direct advising; developing, planning, and executing successful student-oriented events such as orientation; leading the School’s First-Year Experience (FYE) initiatives and course instruction; and working collaboratively with staff and faculty across the University.
• Master’s degree in a science-related field, Counseling, Education, Student Development or related field, or equivalent training and/or work experience field from an accredited college or university;
• Previous experience in academic advising, career advising, or student affairs with a diverse undergraduate and/or graduate population in a college or university setting;
• Advanced computer skills, particularly related to data management software;
• Strong computer skills in electronic file management, word processing, and spreadsheets;
• Experience such as creating, editing, and maintaining large databases;
• Must be detail-oriented, with evidence of strong organizational and problem-solving skills demonstrable from previous professional activities;
• Ability to manage confidential files and materials;
• Must be self-motivated and able to work independently, as well as be flexible and creative in finding solutions for problems;
• Previous program management or event coordination;
• Excellent communications with the ability to interact comfortably and respectfully with all individuals in a diverse, multicultural environment.
• Advanced knowledge of university policies and procedures, particularly related to registration, class scheduling degree and graduation requirements;
• Record of implementation creative proactive academic advising solutions;
• Significant experience with large relational databases such as Banner, SLATE, Navigate, and HokieSpa;
• Knowledge of federal rules and regulations (FERPA);
• Experience facilitating group sessions and making presentations and/or teaching;
• Experience with social media platforms;
• Familiarity with Neuroscience concepts, terminology, and curricular requirements for Neuroscience majors;
Commensurate with Experience
5/21/2021; ongoing until filled
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Jonathan Hedrick at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: May 7, 2021
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Academic Administration Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Student Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg