Assistant Provost for Student Success and Retention
Posting Number NC00152P Quick Link for Position https://jobs.uafs.edu/postings/1831 Working Title Assistant Provost for Student Success and Retention Position Number Department Office of Provost/VC Academic Affairs About the University
For more than 6,000 students each semester, the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith offers a dynamic and diverse learning community with a student-centered approach focused on the success of the individual. Small class sizes combine with innovative, hands-on learning and research experiences alongside expert faculty to ensure students receive a future-focused education at the most affordable tuition rate in the state. The university has undergone significant changes since its founding in 1928 and now offers 51 bachelor’s and associate degrees, two master’s degrees, and 36 certificate programs, all aimed at preparing students for success in the global workforce. UAFS is one of 21 academic institutions and affiliates governed by the University of Arkansas System.
The second-largest city in the state, Fort Smith is located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border in the heart of the Arkansas River Valley. Established in 1817 as a frontier military post, Fort Smith is now a vibrant and growing city featuring a variety of cultural activities and entertainment options, including a thriving downtown arts and entertainment district. Outdoors enthusiasts will appreciate the Natural State’s plentiful trails, mountains, forests, parks, and waterways, both within city limits and throughout the surrounding area. The city is also within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Memphis.
The UAFS campus is comprised of 77 buildings and facilities located on 170 beautifully manicured acres and crowned with the Donald W. Reynolds Campus Plaza, Tower, and Campus Green. Students who choose to live on campus may do so in one of two residence hall complexes, complete with a full-service dining center, or the on-campus apartment complex for married students and upperclassmen. Campus involvement is encouraged by participation in more than 100 registered student organizations, which includes academic societies, a dynamic Greek life system, intramural sports, and cultural/special interest groups. The UAFS Lions compete in NCAA Division II Lonestar Conference in men’s baseball, women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s basketball, golf, cross country, and tennis.
About the College / Department Position Summary
The Assistant Provost for Student Success and Retention will provide leadership and oversite/direction in the development, coordination, and monitoring of retention and student success initiatives. The position requires outreach and collaboration with deans, academic departments, other campus administrators, faculty, to set a strategic direction for student success initiatives aimed at increasing student retention, persistence, and graduation rates. Provides direct leadership to advising, ADA, TRIO programs, Career Services, and the Academic Success Center The successful candidate must be an energetic, dedicated, and innovative team leader with a proven record of success in higher education administration, who is familiar with best practices in promoting academic success with diverse student populations. The position reports to the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs at University of Arkansas – Fort Smith.
Summary of Job Duties
• Provide leadership and oversight for the development, execution, and assessment of the University’s goals related to retention and student success
• Improve services to students through technological enhancements, making recommendations, securing resources, coordinating or leading the enhancements, and training staff and students on how to effectively utilize the service
• Advocate for the development of policies and best practices that support current and prospective students
• Promote access, academic achievement, transfer, and graduation of a diverse population of current and prospective students through participation in and planning of campus events and other activities
• Monitor students to pro-actively identify at-risk scenarios and opportunities to develop, implement, measure, and improve student success strategies
• Collaborate with peers to analyze key metrics and student data to identify trends and process improvements, with a focus on at-risk students
• Apply the principles of inclusion and equity and implement measures that provide a working environment dedicated to these principles
• Serve as a campus resource and educate the community regarding a broad spectrum of student-focused initiatives including but not limited to academic support tools, advising, counseling, and behavior intervention
• Produce retention reports which include evaluation of practices and recommendations for future periods
• Coordinate the development and updating of all needed training materials and outcomes data
• Gather and maintain benchmarking data related to student success at selected peer institutions
• Assist in strategic campaign development and evaluation of retention efforts
• Maintain a planning schedule and information clearinghouse
• Drive positive outreach to coach students around managing challenges and successes
• Responsible for maintaining a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner to foster teamwork and by providing leadership to subordinates
• Requires consistent on-time attendance
• Other duties as assigned
• Master’s degree from an accredited institution
• Five or more years of progressive experience in academic leadership
• Supervisory roles in student success within a college/university setting
• Experience assessing program effectiveness
• Experience in admissions and financial aid
License(s)/Certifications Preferred Qualifications
• Doctoral degree
• Experience with retention and graduation initiatives
• Grant writing and administration to support student success
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• The candidate must have a demonstrated ability to work effectively, both independently and in a diverse team environment
• Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as strong planning and organizational ability
• Knowledge of established and emerging trends, standards, practices, procedures, and techniques in the field and knowledge of the theories and principles of higher education, undergraduate education, student development, retention, and student learning
• Knowledge of curriculum, admissions, and financial aid issues
• Strong management, organization, supervision, and teambuilding skills
• Ability to prioritize and implement program activities in an efficient manner and handle multiple projects, shifting priorities, and deadline pressures
• Knowledge of admissions, financial aid, and evidence-based best practices related to retention and student success
• Ability to analyze and synthesize quantitative and qualitative data for the purposes of implementing innovative practices and strategies around retention and student success.
Special Job Dimensions
Work performed primarily in an office setting. Occasional travel may be required. Extended hours occasionally required.
This is a 12-month position.
Salary Salary commensurate with education and experience. Benefits
Competitive benefits package.
Background Check / Pre-Employment Screening
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non- discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Does this position require a background check? Criminal Background Check, Financial History Background Check, and Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) Check
Open Date 05/07/2021 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants Anticipated start date EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas – Fort Smith is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, dedicated to attracting and supporting diverse student, faculty, and staff populations. The University welcomes applications without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
UA Fort Smith provides equal employment, admission, and educational opportunities without regard to race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, or gender identify. The University abides by all applicable employment laws.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, the University is committed to provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees with regard to recruitment, hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, training, fringe benefits and all other aspects of employment.
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial College Transcripts
- Unofficial College Transcripts - Additional 1
- Unofficial College Transcripts - Additional 2
- Proof of Veteran Status
- Additional Document
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you understand that failure to complete the Employment
History section of the application will result in automatic
- * Did you complete the Employment History section of the
- * Have you ever been fired or asked to resign from a job?
- * Do you understand that failure to upload your unofficial
transcript(s) may result in an incomplete application packet?
- * Did you upload your unofficial transcript(s)?
- If yes, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you learn of this employment opportunity?
(Open Ended Question)
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Deans Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Admissions, Enrollment, Retention & Registrar Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith