Academic & Career Advisor, Graduate School of Education
Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and the recognized leader in experience-driven lifelong learning. Our world-renowned experiential approach empowers our students, faculty, alumni, and partners to create impact far beyond the confines of discipline, degree, and campus.
Our locations—in Boston; Charlotte, North Carolina; London; Portland, Maine; San Francisco; Seattle; Silicon Valley; Toronto; Vancouver; and the Massachusetts communities of Burlington and Nahant—are nodes in our growing global university system. Through this network, we expand opportunities for flexible, student-centered learning and collaborative, solutions-focused research.
Northeastern's comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate programs— in a variety of on-campus and online formats—lead to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Among these, we offer more than 195 multi-discipline majors and degrees designed to prepare students for purposeful lives and careers.
About the Opportunity:
The Northeastern University College of Professional Studies invites applications from qualified individuals to provide graduate and undergraduate students a personalized academic and career coaching experience from the point of admission through graduation and beyond.
Each coach will partner with an assigned caseload of students to facilitate the development of an academic and professional development plan that incorporates intentional career planning and exploration, experiential learning, and engagement with networks and communities. The Academic & Career Advisor will engage with students for academic advising, to support the unique needs of students within programs including the Graduate School of Education's Doctor of Education and Doctor of Law and Policy programs through one-on-one engagement, and other forms of outreach to enhance the student experience.
Master's degree required. Candidates must possess a minimum of 2 to 4 years of professional experience, characterized by increasing levels of responsibility, preferably in an academic or student affairs/student services environment or in HR/corporate recruiting/or related area; Experience in a service or leadership role such as an academic advisor/counselor/ coach/ human resources/client or customer service professional or similar capacity preferred. The successful candidate will have a passion for educating and supporting students in a higher education environment, demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of students (particularly adult learners, international students, and online learners) and knowledge of professional development and career advising practice. Candidates will serve students studying in locations throughout the world studying primarily online.
Flexible in work assignments and work hours to include some evenings and weekends; some travel required.
The successful candidate will have/be:
- Passion for educating and supporting students
- Knowledge of professional development and career advising
- Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs and concerns of a diverse
- Experience working with adult learners, international students,
and online students
- Student-centered and have a strong sense of responsibility for
- Detail oriented and organized
- Strong prioritization, time management, and follow-through
- Excellent interpersonal, writing and presentation
- Comfortable using multiple mediums to communicate, esp. in the
- Current and stay abreast of research in the field of academic
and student affairs
- Able to work collaboratively and independently in a rapidly
- Initiative to exercise sharp critical thinking skills and sound
judgment to problem solve independently within organization
guidelines and policies
- Creative in coming up with ideas to improve service to
- The ability to discern appropriate level of communication with
multiple audiences and maintain confidentiality around complex and
sensitive issues to comply with applicable ADA, FERPA, SEVIS, and
other applicable state, federal, University, and College of
Professional Studies guidelines
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced work environment, with
demonstrated ability and comfort to efficaciously handle multiple
tasks and projects
- Proficient in the use Microsoft Office Suite
- Flexible in work assignments and work hours to include some
evenings and weekends
It is highly desirable for the candidate to have:
- Experience working with international and adult learners and
compliance regulations in an academic advising, academic support
- Strong technological skills and experience using various
software, programs, and tools
- Experience with Salesforce (Customer Relation Management
system) and Banner mainframe database system
- Interest in working with students to navigate and understand
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/879/cw/en-us/job/506240