Postdoctoral Research Associate in Immunology, Center for Translational Medicine
Two (2) Postdoctoral Research Associate positions in immunology are available immediately in lab of Dr. Jay Evans in the Center for Translational Medicine at the University of Montana (Missoula MT). The postdoctoral research associates will work as part of a highly interactive multidisciplinary research team focused on the discovery and development of novel vaccines and immunomodulators in the Center for Translational Medicine at the University of Montana, Missoula MT. Our team works to develop vaccines or treatments for wide variety of diseases impacting human health including COVID-19, influenza virus, tuberculosis, pertussis, pseudomonas, MRSA, cancer, allergy, autoimmunity and opioid addition (https://youtu.be/VJymyraaxAI). We also seek to understand the molecular basis of host-pathogen interactions and the downstream effects on immunopathology or immune mediated protection. Our team consists of academic scientists and former and current industry scientists with extensive translational research experience, making our lab a great place for anyone with an interest in translational immunology. This is an excellent opportunity to join a world-class multidisciplinary research team that is well funded and has strong connections in both academia and industry.
We are looking for highly motivated candidates with a strong working knowledge of immunology, molecular biology, biochemistry, toxicology and/or cell biology. Previous experience with one or more of the following techniques is preferred; cell-mediated immunity, cell signaling, receptor/ligand interaction, molecular biology, flow cytometry or fluorescence microscopy. Work independently and as part of a larger project team to design, execute, and interpret experiments that contribute to the advancement of novel vaccines and immunotherapeutics. A strong publication record and communication skills and a keen interest in expanding your areas of expertise are also very desirable qualities! The appointees are expected to be both highly independent and collaborative, and they will have significant leeway in the scope and design of projects. The appointees will write papers for publication based on research, compose project reports and contribute to grant applications, present at seminars and national meetings, and participate in research group meetings that may include oral and/or written reports. The ability to exhibit independent decision making and participate in group discussions is expected in designing and implementing strategies for achieving shared research goals.
UM is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
- Position is full-time, 1.0 FTE, Letter of Appointment and includes a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including insurance, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
- Salary for this position is $52,000.
Required Education and Skills
- Ph.D., M.D., or D.V.M. (current or within 3 months for current Ph.D. Candidates)
- Strong background and experience in Immunology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Toxicology, Cell Biology, or related field
- Demonstrated experience of excellent research capabilities required to carry out innovative and insightful research
- Ability to identify, analyze and summarize relevant literature
- Ability to devise and articulate a research plan with defined goals, and design sound experimental strategies with appropriate controls
- Proven record and ability to produce research to a high publication standard
- Ability to learn and apply new skills appropriate to conduct necessary research
- Knowledge and experience in laboratory environment
- Proven ability to communicate complex ideas and concepts (both orally and in writing) to scientific and non-scientific audiences
- Ability and willingness to undertake collaborative research
- Ability to supervise and mentor undergraduate and graduate students
- Ability to maintain a safe working and learning environment
- Ability to achieve project goals within time and budget
- Strong theoretical and empirical background
- Previous experience with one or more of the following techniques is preferred; cell culture, cell signaling, receptor/ligand interaction, molecular biology, flow cytometry or fluorescence microscopy.
About the Center for Translational Medicine , UM , and Missoula
The Center for Translational Medicine (CTM) at the University of Montana is a multi-disciplinary research center that assists faculty, staff, and students in the translation of pre-clinical research discoveries from bench to bedside. The Center works across the Montana University System to facilitate the ability of University researchers to better advance the clinical and/or commercial potential of their basic science discoveries.
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with approximately 12,000 undergraduate and graduate students and 500+ full-time faculty members. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 70,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America ” in 2014. Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- State of Montana
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: June 7 , 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Application review will begin after the date above and continue until the position is filled.
Please submit the following application materials via "New Resume/CV" button below.
*Please note: only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
- Letter of Interest addressing the stated required skills for the position
- Detailed resume listing education and describing work experience
- Names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Pharmacology Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner