Environmental studies / Resource management (B)
April 22, 2021
Chairperson, Establishment Committee of
College for Sustainable Development and Tourism (tentative name)
Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University
Beppu, Oita, Japan
To whom it may concern:
Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University: Call for Faculty Applications for the College for
Sustainable Development and Tourism (Tentative Name)
I hope this letter finds you well.
Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University (APU) is currently preparing to submit a notification of establishment to the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT), Japan for the tentatively named College for Sustainable Development and Tourism, and as outlined below, we are set to begin recruiting new faculty for this college.
I kindly request that you provide this information to any interested individuals.
Please refer to the attachment for details about the new college and other fields for which we are recruiting. We are recruiting faculty for several fields, but there are no restrictions on applying for multiple positions.
1. Field, Number of Positions, and Type of Employment:
Field : Environmental studies / Resource management (B)
Number of Positions : A few
Type of Employment
- Permanent faculty member (tenured; under age 65 at the time of appointment)
- Fixed-term faculty member (tenure track; under age 65 at the time of appointment)
- Specially-appointed faculty member
* Please refer to the next page for an explanation of the tenure track system.
* The type of employment will depend on teaching and research achievements and work history. The candidate will be notified of the position when the hiring decision is made.
* The "Specially-appointed faculty member" are persons who have excellent research achievements and practical experience, or who have various networks, and are appointed for special needs in APU education and research. Period of appointment is one year (Contracts may be renewed up to four times. Please note that the maximum age for this position is 70.)
- Professor, Associate Professor or Assistant Professor
* The position will depend on teaching and research achievements and work history. The candidate will be notified of the position when the hiring decision is made.
Subjects and Other Qualifications
- Environmental studies / Resource management
Global Environmental Issues
* The above subjects are assumed, and not all of the above subjects are taken into account.
* In light of the educational needs of the university, candidates may be asked to teach other subjects giving consideration to their research fields and work experience. More specifically, these may include off-campus programs and field work subjects, the two areas on which the new college places particular emphasis, and subjects covering academic skills such as literature reviews and research methods.
* Faculty members who satisfy the graduate instructor qualifications will also teach graduate subjects and supervise graduate students.
* At APU, undergraduate subjects are offered in both English and Japanese, and graduate subjects are offered entirely in English. Official business on campus is conducted in either English or Japanese.
To apply, you must meet all of the following criteria.
1) Must hold a doctoral degree in the field in question; however, individuals who do not possess a doctoral degree can apply if they have equivalent research achievements and/or practical experience. Or who are scheduled to obtain one by the date of appointment or soon after can also apply.
2) Must have a number of articles published in peer-reviewed journals commensurate. However, those with rich practical experience or those who expect to have a doctoral degree with good research potential also can apply.
3) Must be able to comfortably communicate in English when conducting official business on campus.
- Must agree with the basic ideals, key objectives, and unique features of Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University and display enthusiasm for teaching, research, and administration at APU.
- In light of the ideal student envisioned by the college and the kind of talent that society will need in the future (e.g., people who can adapt to change, create new value, and take initiative), we welcome applications with the following qualities.
1) Experience with and enthusiasm for solving practical social issues through social entrepreneurship or other means
2) Enthusiasm for applying technology to one’s teaching and research activities (e.g., using information processing tools pertaining to one’s area of expertise)
- We also welcome applications from individuals who have work experience with government agencies or international organizations.
We value diversity, so we look forward to receiving applications from individuals with wide and varied backgrounds and work experience.
2. Appointment Date: October 1, 2021
3. Period of Appointment:
* Permanent faculty member: Until
mandatory retirement (Under Japanese law, the mandatory
retirement age is 65 for Professors and 60 for Associate Professors. Re-appointment after mandatory retirement as a specially-employed or continuously-employed faculty member is possible.)
* Fixed-term faculty member: Five years (in accordance with the Act on Term of Office of University Teachers, etc.)
* Specially-appointed faculty member: One year (Contracts may be renewed up to four times. Please note that the maximum age for this position is 70.)
About the Tenure-Track System
The university has a tenure-track system under which individuals appointed as fixed-term faculty members undergo an internal performance review of teaching, research, university service in their fourth year. After the screening, faculty members who satisfy the screening criteria stipulated in the internal regulations may be converted to tenured faculty members (employed until the mandatory retirement age) or re-appointed as fixed-term faculty members (depending on their position at the time of appointment). The evaluation of research achievements at the university focuses primarily on peer-reviewed publications.
4. Employment Conditions:
Based on University regulations.
* Please refer to the attached “Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University Employment
Conditions (Benefits System)” for more information concerning research support
systems (e.g., individual research allowances and research travel allowances), housing
allowances, and other benefits.
APU is currently preparing to open the
tentatively named College for Sustainable Development and Tourism
in April 2023. As shown in the table below, candidates will first
be appointed to the College of Asia Pacific Studies, and they will
transfer to the College for Sustainable Development and Tourism
when it opens in April 2023.
Your name will be included on the list of faculty members that APU will submit to MEXT as part of
its application for the establishment of the new college.
Date : Affiliation (Tentative)
From date of appointment until March 31, 2023 : College of Asia Pacific Studies
April 1, 2023~ : College for Sustainable Development and Tourism (tentative name)
* We are still in the process of applying for approval. The college establishment plan is
subject to change.
6. Required Documents: Please submit one copy of each of the required documents.
Please download forms (1) through (5) and the instructions for completion from the link below.
Download URL: https://www.apu.ac.jp → Jobs at APU
(1) Curriculum vitae (with applicant’s signature, or printed name and seal) [Form 1]
(2) Education, Employment and Research Experience [Form 1]
(3) List of Major Education/Research Projects and Other Achievements [Form 2]
(4) Microsoft Word files of Items (1)
through (3) on CD-R or USB flash memory (Name and seal
(5) Language Proficiency Report [Form 3]
(6) Potential Courses of Instruction [Form 4]
(7) Statement of Intent for
Application (please explain your teaching and research interests
qualifications) [No set format]
(8) Copies of three major
In principle, this should be peer reviewed papers or academic books. However, if the candidate
are practitioner teacher or has a shorter career as a researcher, other achievements (materials
that show the achievements and their summary described in Form 1) are also acceptable.
(9) Names, current positions, and
contact information of two references (We may contact your
references if necessary.) [No set format]
(10) Proof of highest level of education (Copy of diploma is acceptable)
(11) Checklist for Document Submission [Form 5]
* Application documents can be submitted in either Japanese or English, but to facilitate the
screening process, English versions of Items (1), (2), (3), and (7) are required. Please submit
documents in both languages where possible.
* If required during the screening process, candidates may be requested to provide additional details on past educational and research achievements.
* Once a decision has been made on a
candidate’s appointment, he or she will be required to
complete a health check using the university’s official form.
* Please note that all documents you submit cannot be returned. Any personal information that has been provided in the application will be handled with the utmost care in accordance with university regulations. The information will not be used for any other purpose than to screen candidates for employment.
7. Application Deadline: Monday, May 17, 2021 (Applications must be sent by post and arrive by this date)
8. Please submit completed application packets to:
Attn.: Personnel Affairs Supervisor,
Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University
1-1 Jumonjibaru, Beppu City, Oita Pref. 874-8577
* Please be sure to send your application by registered mail (e.g., kakitome yubin in Japan) and mark "APS / New College (Environmental studies / Resource management field (B)) Faculty Member Application Enclosed" in red on the envelope.
* Inquiries: Mr. NAGAMATSU
Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University
Subject: Application for APS / New College (Environmental studies / Resource management field
(B)) Faculty Position
After you have mailed in your documents, please visit the following URL to notify us of your
application. (This will help us confirm your application in the event that mail is delayed or not
(1) During your interview, you will be
asked to give a mock lecture to the interviewers and faculty
observers. Mock lectures and interviews are scheduled to be held on Zoom. If we need to confirm
anything with you, we may request to meet online before the official interview.
(2) After consulting with the candidate, there may be a "special seminar" to present research results, etc. to the faculty of our university in addition to the mock lecture.
(3) Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University is a smoke-free campus.