Manager, Maintenance #605354
- Manages the general maintenance and repair/replacement of buildings, property, furniture, fixtures or equipment which includes mechanical, plumbing, electrical, refrigeration, carpentry and painting repair and maintenance.
- Provides management, day to day direction, and leadership to the GMM department.
- Plans and develops work/staffing schedules, equipment usage schedule and procedures for work unit; coordinates and monitors status of work requests.
- Initiates measures to improve methods, equipment performance and quality of work.
- Interprets policies to assigned personnel and enforces safety regulations and adherence to proper codes and standards.
- Recommends or initiates action involving promotions, transfers, disciplinary action and motivation of employees.
- Inspects buildings and property for inventory or maintenance and repair purposes.
- Monitors all projects with regard to progress and cost; estimates material and labor costs.
- Develops and manages departmental budget for revenues and expenses.
- Manages and coaches GMM personnel to be successful, and holds GMM technicians accountable to departmental standards and expectations.
- Attends required meetings as the GMM supervisor.
- Maintains records and files, including the approval of time cards and absences, and submits as required.
- Inspects work in process to insure its completion within allotted time limits and for acceptable quality standards.
- Coordinates with suppliers, contractors, engineers and others concerning equipment operations or maintenance.
- Plans and develops employee work schedules and equipment usage schedules to ensure best use of resources available.
- Interprets university and departmental policies to assigned personnel and enforces regulations and adherence to proper codes and standards.
- Informs, trains, and instructs employees of new work methods or procedures, changes in safety regulations, work policies and fire safety codes.
- Maintains effective communication with all customers across campus, and fosters a team relationship that allows for collaborative problem solving and process improvement.
- Responsible for initiating measures to improve customer service.
- Responsible for employee development through the development of individualized goals, and the creation of training plans to ensure that employees achieve the established goals. Goals will be developed during annual appraisal period, and quarterly meetings will be conducted with each employee.
- Possess a detailed understanding of the industry staffing guidelines and can develop reports of current staffing levels.
- Ensures that OSHA and general safety regulations are maintained within the work unit. Works with the Risk Management department to develop staff safety training.
- Responsible for overseeing/monitoring departmental purchases, ensuring a sufficient inventory of materials, supplies, equipment are maintained and available as needed.
- Effectively delegate responsibility to staff.
- Takes a proactive role in promoting and supporting Facility Services mission and vision.
- Knowledge and skills of industry best practices as well as participation in industry professional organizations.
- Actively maintains cutting edge knowledge of industry practices pertaining to higher education and continually suggest process improvements based on industry changes.
- Dedication to the development of sustainable operations and maintenance practices.
This position is considered essential staff and must report to
work when the university is closed for emergencies.This position is
required to participate in on-call and call back duties, which can
include days, nights and weekends.
Travel between campus locations is a regular part of the position. Arizona Administrative Code Fleet Safety Policy requires all employees who drive, on university business to pass an online defensive driving course and submit their driver's license number for periodic records review.
The law affects all faculty, staff and students who drive any university-owned motorized vehicles.
- High School degree AND
- 2-4 years of maintenance experience AND
- 1-2 year of management or supervisory experience OR
- A combination of experience, training and/or education.
- Bachelor’s degree in management, business administration, or related field.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Commensurate with experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.