Manager, Recreation #605405
Manages the day-to-day operations of university-supported recreational facilities and activities to ensure effective service is provided to campus members. Develops and oversees various types of university recreational programs and events and coordinates with external staff to increase student involvement. Authorizes facilities booking and maintenance and establishes and maintains recreation strategic plans, standard operating procedures, and budgets and ensures relevant support staff adheres to institutional policies.
The primary function is to provide supervision for the daily operation and management of the university’s Recreation Center which serves over 600,000 visits annually. Additional areas of responsibility include implementation of best practices reflective of current business and industry trends, promotion of informal recreation and special events and personnel management for nearly 60 students. Position will also assist with review and process facility requests, coordinate event needs and schedule staff for indoor and outdoor recreation space. This position will use data driven decision making to assist in areas such as budget monitoring, marketing, strategic planning, equipment maintenance, and policy development.
- Applies baseline planning, organizing, coordinating, and facilitating skills; applies baseline knowledge of employee regulations, policies, and procedures; demonstrated working knowledge of routine work applications; applies subject matter expertise within assigned department.
- Prepare regular written communication such as monthly, quarterly, and annual reports.
- Coordinates the recruiting, hiring, training, and scheduling of student staff.
- Assist with policy development and revision of training methods for staff.
- Insure cleanliness, appearance, safety, and maintenance of the recreation facility.
- Responsible for supporting an inclusive, safe experience for staff, members, and guests.
- Assist in ordering, inventory, inspection and maintenance of fitness and facility equipment.
- Assists with facility reservations and events.
- Contributes to departments promotion strategies and outreach plans.
- Collaborates with others across campus to promote well-being and support community interests and access.
- Evaluates higher-level processes and workflow, identifies inefficiencies, and works with management to develop solutions.
- Tracks and monitors maintenance logs for equipment and facilities.
- Assist with developing new and revising current policies/procedures.
- Assist with development of risk management plans and enforcement of plans.
- Handles escalations and provides thoughtful and well-considered resolutions.
- Works in collaboration across campus to support holistic wellness, student success and positive campus experience.
- May prepare and/or maintain unit budgets.
- Assist with creating, monitoring, and managing Recreation Center operating budget.
- Tracking and monitoring student and federal work study wage expenditures.
- Participate in university wide committees and work groups in support of advancing University goals and mission.
- Other duties as assigned to support department and division vision, objectives and goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- 1-2 years of management or supervisory experience. 2-4 years of relevant experience.
- Nationally recognized CPR, AED, First Aid certification or the ability to obtain within the first 6 months of employment.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Commensurate with experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.