Director of Student Engagement
Director of Student Engagement
Personnel Status: PIN/Exempt
Department: Student Affairs
Open Date: May 5, 2021
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Responsibilities: Reporting to the Vice President for Student Affairs, the Director of Student Engagement is responsible for the direction, supervision, administrative oversight, and operational management for the Office of Student Engagement, which is comprised of Student Leadership, Greek Life and Community Service, Multicultural Programs and Services, Civic Engagement, Student Clubs and Organizations, and the Student Government Association. The director will play a critical role in strengthening the student life experience and will work with campus leadership to ensure that co-curricular and extracurricular activities align with the mission, vision, and core values of Bowie State University. The Director serves as a member of the Student Affairs Leadership Team (SALT), and will be actively engaged in the creation and support of several large scale campus-wide events; serves as a role model and facilitator to student leaders; supports the development and engagement of student-driven clubs and organizations; implements co-curricular leadership programming; promotes student and organizational excellence and best practices grounded in student development theory; and advocates on behalf of student leaders and organizations.
- Oversees the day-to-day operations of the department including hiring, training, evaluating, and supervising full and part-time staff;
- Prepares, administers, and manages the operating budget and expenditures related to the department and student clubs and orgs, and performs analysis and reporting to support decision-making;
- Establish and maintain relationships with students through attendance at campus events, informal interaction and organized programs and workshops.
- Enforces policies, procedures, and guidelines for events, operations, and customer service, and strives for continual improvements in operation and services;
- Assess the interests and needs of the student body relative to co-curricular involvement opportunities and programs.
- Compile and submit weekly, monthly, and annual reports, including program/activity numbers and program/activity evaluations.
- Create, implement, and evaluate program goals and objectives. Establish and assess measurable student learning outcomes.
- Create and maintain print and web-based published material.
Qualifications: Master's degree from an accredited institution in College Student Personnel, Higher Education Administration, Counseling, or other related discipline required. Minimum of five (5) years full-time, supervisory, professional experience in higher education required.
- Demonstrated experience with working with diverse student populations is required.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate programs with other university departments and to assess program effectiveness.
- Effective interpersonal skills, including a willingness to create a welcoming environment for all people.
- Effective oral and written communications skills, including the ability to present complex information and data to audiences with varied background knowledge (students, faculty/staff, parents, etc.).
- Proficiency with common office software (e.g., Microsoft Office Suite) e-mail, internet, and social media. Experience with student engagement software preferred.
- Strong managerial skills with demonstrated abilities to train, mentor/develop, and motivate staff. Ability to adapt well to unexpected situations and re-prioritize work according to changing circumstances.
- Ability to work in a self-motivated manner, with minimal supervision and to make decisions based on complex concrete and abstract variables in situations where limited standardization exists.
- Possess skills and knowledge in the following areas: program development and implementation, advising student organizations, conflict resolution, marketing and promotions, special event coordination, project management, website development, and social media.
Condition of Employment: Must be flexible in work hours to include some evening and weekends. Please be advised, COVID-19 vaccinations will be required for all eligible students, faculty and staff returning to US institutions this fall.
SALARY: $85,106 - $87,000 RANGE: IV
APPLICATION: Interested and qualified applicants should go to https://bowiestate.peopleadmin.com/ to apply online. Paper application submissions will not be considered.
Office of Human
Bowie State University
14000 Jericho Park Road
Bowie, MD 20715
Bowie State University is an
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Auxiliary aids and services for individuals with disabilities are available upon request. Please contact the University’s EEO Officer at 301-860-3442.
In accordance with the Cleary Act of 2000, you are advised to contact the Bowie State University Campus Police Office for Disclosure of Criminal Incidents that occur on our campus.