Full-time Faculty of Information Technology (open rank)
Instructor / Assistant / Associate Professor of Information Technology
Position Title: Full-time Faculty of Information Technology (open rank)
Reports to: Chair of the Division of Science, Technology and Mathematics
Reports from: Division of Science, Technology and Mathematics
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Number of positions: 1
Vacancy #: AF-Int-54-2021
Position Announcement closing date: May 22, 2021
Founded in 2006 as a private, non-profit university, The American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a student‐centered, innovative institution dedicated to educating Afghanistan’s next generation of leaders. Committed to blending liberal learning and professional preparation, AUAF currently offers four undergraduate and two graduate degrees. We currently host 1,000 degree-seeking students.
The Division of Science, Technology and Mathematics (STM) offers a Bachelor Degree in Information Technology to students with a Major in the discipline with the following concentrations: Artificial Intelligence, Cyber Security, Data Science and Software Engineering. The division also offers a Minor in Data Science, Minor in Electrical Engineering and Renewable Energy, and Minor in Mathematics. The division provides general education courses to all AUAF students majoring other disciplines.
The Division of Science, Technology and Mathematics (STM) at the American University of Afghanistan in Kabul, Afghanistan (AUAF) seeks ONE open rank full-time, non-tenure-track faculty member in the area of Information Technology. Rank will be commensurate with qualifications, experience, and the needs of the university.
This regular faculty appointment is a full-time, non-tenure-track faculty position, one-year, renewable, with the potential to be converted to a multi-year position. Teaching responsibilities include a teaching load consisting of four Information Technology courses. In addition to teaching and mentoring, AUAF faculty responsibilities include scholarship and university service. This appointment will begin in August 2021, which is the AUAF’s Fall semester. The successful applicant is expected to reside and work in Kabul, Afghanistan.
Duties and Responsibilities
Faculty fulfil the roles and responsibilities described in the Faculty Handbook and university policies and procedures that detail specific faculty duties. Major responsibilities are listed below.
With the exception of holidays, university closures, weekends, and other breaks, faculty are expected to be working on campus in Afghanistan during the base contract period. The base contract period refers to an academic year consisting of two semesters, including pre- and post-semester faculty workshops and advising. The contractual period extends from one week before the start of the first semester to one day after spring graduation, which full-time faculty are required to attend.
Teaching and Mentoring
- Teach a 12 credit load each Fall and Spring semesters, evaluating student work and assessing student learning outcomes.
- Hold regular office hours and work with individual students, acting as academic mentor.
- Remain engaged and current in the academic profession and in her/his discipline.
- Remain active in scholarly pursuits, contributing scholarship that goes beyond professional engagement to include the creation of intellectual products that are available to internal and/or external audiences.
- Participate in division and university meetings.
- Serve on ad-hoc committees when required.
- Serve on a faculty senate committee when required.
- Provide academic advising to students assigned.
- Participate in division and university service work.
- Contribute to the overall well-being and development of the university.
- Service to the university includes both internal activities and external outreach on behalf of the institution.
- Service can take many forms, including fostering collegiality, participating in the life of the university, course coordination, assisting in curriculum review, creating new courses, preparing course material to be used actively in related courses, participating actively in committee work, developing the capacity of external stakeholders on the behalf of AUAF, consulting and grant-writing for the university and other service to the external community as required by the Chair of the Division.
- Promote the philosophy, mission and vision of AUAF.
- Provide engaging, enthusiastic and student-centered teaching to Afghani students.
- Establish a professional classroom atmosphere that encourages mutual respect.
- Contribute to a collegial, collaborative and positive attitude to the university campus.
- Understand and convey the essentials of the course discipline that students should master.
- Maintain high academic standards while demonstrating equitability and fairness.
- Work successfully and productively in a team environment with other faculty.
- Perform the necessary duties of an instructor to ensure quality instruction.
- Establish productive and supportive communication with students.
- Prepare and comply with the course syllabus following the university-approved format and course content.
- Be organized and conduct classes in accordance with the published class schedule.
- Evaluate student progress through regularly scheduled assessments/exams.
- Promptly return graded work to students and maintain student grade records.
- Maintain competency.
- Maintain standards of professional conduct and ethics appropriate to the professional position and the institution.
- Any other task assigned by the Chair of the Division as reasonably requested.
- The minimum requirement for the position is Master’s degree in any academic major related to Computer Science, Information Technology, Image Processing and Analysis, Cybersecurity, Networking and Data Mining with three years of progressive work experience within any of the qualifying required fields.
- A Doctorate in Computer Science and Information Technology or a much-related discipline is highly desirable.
- A candidate at the rank of Assistant Professor and above must have a Ph.D. degree in Information Technology or a much-related discipline from a reputable university, and a demonstrated ability for research and teaching. A candidate must demonstrate excellence or promise as a teacher, potential for continuing growth and accomplishment in scholarly and professional activities, and willingness to participate in governance and other service and university activities.
- Significant teaching experience in western style higher education and evidence of excellence in university teaching.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
- Publications and/or other evidence of professional engagement.
- Experience in teaching in international, multicultural, developing and/or post-conflict settings.
- Experience teaching in liberal arts universities, to students across majors.
- Ability to create and deliver innovative courses in Information Technology
- Ability to teach a wide selection of courses within the Information Technology major, from foundation to senior courses.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Understanding of, and commitment to, the comprehensive university mission.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Commitment to fostering an engaging learning environment for students in Afghanistan.
- Flexibility for teaching courses offered day, evening, and online.
- Instructional expertise to deliver instruction for 21st century learners and assess student learning outcomes as appropriate to ensure academic quality.
- Facility with a range of teaching and learning strategies to foster active learning and student success, which contributes to the fulfillment of the AUAF strategic goals.
- Willingness to participate in activities at the division and university levels.
Benefits and Environment
The American University of Afghanistan offers a generous benefits package that includes a competitive salary, air transportation, university-provided accommodation, and paid international health care insurance for international employees. International faculty and staff live and work on AUAF’s 50-acre main campus or the 5-acre campus across the street. The AUAF campuses utilize state-of-the-art security infrastructure and protocols and are protected by a large professional security corps. Transportation between the adjacent campuses or to approved locations and the airport is by armored, guarded vehicles.
To apply for this position, please send as a single PDF document: a cover letter, curriculum vitae (CV), statement of teaching purpose, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please, include AF-Int-54-2021- Full-time Faculty of Information Technology (open rank) in the subject line of the e-mail. Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If hired, the successful applicant is expected to provide official proof of academic degrees (transcripts sent from the degree-granting university directly to AUAF). AUAF does not charge recruitment fees to applicants. AUAF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. AUAF follows a strict non-discriminatory policy in its selection and employment practices. All applicants will receive equal consideration and applicants from all ethnic, religious and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply. AUAF strives to ensure that all employees work in safe environments, but safety and security are to a great degree contingent on various factors within Afghanistan that are outside of AUAF’s control.
If hired, the successful applicant is expected to provide official proof of academic degrees (transcripts sent from the degree-granting school directly to AUAF).
AUAF does not charge recruitment fees to applicants.
AUAF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. AUAF follows a strict non-discriminatory policy in its selection and employment practices. All applicants will receive equal consideration and applicants from all ethnic, religious and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
AUAF strives to ensure that all employees work in safe environments, but safety and security are to a great degree contingent on various factors within Afghanistan that are outside of AUAF’s control. Applicants should carefully consider and evaluate their safety and security in Afghanistan.