Dental Hygiene Instructor
The Dental Hygiene Instructor is responsible for dental lab, clinic, and classroom instruction of students in the Sheridan College Dental Hygiene Program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Teach in the clinic and classroom
Correlate didactic information with clinical practice
Ensure content is evidence-based and consistent with standards of care and practice
Plan and develop courses, including performance objectives and testing materials
Use a variety of teaching methods
Analyze and evaluate the teaching process
Advise dental hygiene students
Meet with assigned advisees throughout the semester
Share information about students’ needs, attendance, and achievements with other dental hygiene faculty and the program director
Participate and contribute as a member of the dental hygiene faculty team
Recommend resources, materials and equipment for use in the program
Assist in planning, implementing, evaluating and revising students’ learning experiences
Attend regularly scheduled department and assigned ad-hoc meetings
Assist in the dental hygiene accreditation process
Assist in recruiting qualified students and faculty
Perform other duties delegated by the director of dental hygiene
Participate and contribute as a member of the Sheridan College faculty team
Participate in a college-wide committee
Attend in-services, orientations and college required activities
Demonstrate commitment to continuous learning, evidenced by such things as critical review of scientific literature, attendance at continuing education and professional meetings, and/or participation in on-line learning activities
Demonstrate commitment to the dental hygiene profession as evidenced by membership in and attendance at state, regional, and/or national professional organizations and activities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required by the Position:
- Support Sheridan College Dental Hygiene Program philosophy
- Function as an effective team member
- Foster a cooperative work environment
- Communicate effectively
- Analyze and solve problems
- Interpret and enforce college and department policies and procedures
- Maintain strict confidentiality
- Maintain high ethical standards and clinical skills
- Demonstrate flexibility to work irregular schedules to meet student, clinical and academic objectives
- Demonstrate commitment to continuous learning
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Person must be physically/mentally able to perform functions and responsibilities of the position.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility:
- Assigned advisees
Minimum Qualifications including education, experience, required licensures, certifications, and registrations:
- Graduate of a CODA accredited dental hygiene program.
- Minimum of two years of clinical experience as a dental hygienist.
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred. Will consider someone currently enrolled in a graduate dental hygiene degree program.
- Two years of teaching experience in dental hygiene preferred.
- Current dental hygiene licensure, or eligibility for licensure, including local anesthesia, Nitrous oxide/oxygen administration, and laser permit, in Wyoming.
- Current immunizations and Healthcare Provider CPR Certification.
- Member of the American Dental Hygienists’ Association