Textile Fabrication Technician
Drexel is a comprehensive global research university ranked among the top 100 in the nation. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, and a major engine for economic development in the region. Drexel has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.
Reporting to the Director, Pennsylvania Fabric Discovery Center and the Center for Functional Fabrics, the Textile Fabrication Technician is highly motivated with experience in design, knowledge of textile and an understanding of textile fabrication technologies. On location in Drexel University’s Pennsylvania Fabric Discovery Center currently housed at the Center for Functional Fabric, the Textile Fabrication Technician will work with a transdisciplinary team consisting of, but not limited to, industrial designers, material scientists, computer scientists, engineers, and sociologists. The duties for the Textile Fabrication Technician include research, product development, CAD programming (computerized knitting machine programming preferred), sample fabrication, and other related duties.
- Design conceptualizing and creation including:
- Creating and visualizing ideas to produce designs by hand or using a computer-aided design system.
- Assist in product development and knit programming utilizing the Shima Seiki SDS-ONE Apex system and other equipment as acquired.
- Understanding technical specifications for functional fabric design.
- High School Diploma or GED
- At least 1 year of related working experience
- Ability to establish clear priorities and multi-task in a high-volume setting responsive to externally generated deadlines.
- A flexible approach to new design concepts.
- Adaptable and work effectively in a changing environment.
- Demonstrated ability to listen to and communicate with differing stakeholders.
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to facilitate meetings and make effective presentations.
- Customer-focused and dedicated to providing optimum service.
- Ability to multi-task and work effectively in a team environment, both within a project and in developing relationships and collaborations through committees and workgroups.
- Good negotiation skills for working with customers and suppliers.
- Detail oriented individual and a strong self-starter
- Typically sitting at a desk/table
- Typically standing, walking
- Lifting demands up to 50 lbs.
- Typically bending, crouching, stooping
This position is classified as Exempt with a salary grade of J. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will continue until a suitable candidate pool is identified.