Iron Griz Manager, UM Campus Dining
Campus Dining is one of the premiere, university, food-service organizations in the country. The Iron Griz American Bistro is part of Campus Dining, but is located a few blocks off of the main campus on the picturesque UM Golf Course. The Iron Griz is known for its use of local foods, on site garden, wine tasting events, and eclectic menus.
The University of Montana, located in Missoula, MT is a culturally integrated outdoor community with world-class mountain biking, fishing, hunting and skiing. More than 14,000 students from all over the globe claim The University of Montana as home. The University incorporates diversity into our staffing, menus and special events. UM Dining’s trend setting programs like the UM Farm to College Program, sustainable business practices, the campus garden programs and our staff development programs are envied by our peers across the country. Our international award-winning culinary team is proud to be part of the campus and enjoys an excellent reputation with our clients, faculty and staff.
Campus Dining invites applications for a rare opportunity in Managing the Iron Griz . The Iron Griz manager reports to the associate director of Retail Operations and is responsible for the fiscal and personnel management of the Iron Griz. Working with a student employee staff, this position will oversee the dining room, kitchen, patio, special events, menu development, and beverage carts.
The Iron Griz restaurant has a beer and wine license and the manager is required to effectively manage an operation which serves alcohol to the public and university guests. The manager is the leader for all aspects of personnel management of students and full-time employees including recruitment, scheduling, training, development, and performance management. This position develops and maintains positive, professional relationships with Campus Recreation, UM Golf Course staff, and all guests of the Iron Griz.
- Professional food management and supervisory experience
- Knowledge of food production techniques that produce excellent food for a diverse group of guests
- Experience working with college students as employees and guests
- Knowledge and experience with wine and beer pairings
- Experience with effectively training all employees at all work stations under the assigned area of responsibility
- Knowledge of all current state and county laws governing the sale of alcohol and experience with foodservice operations which serve alcohol
- Experience managing a budget with responsibility for food and labor cost management
- Experience with planning, marketing, implementing, and assessment of special events
- Experience with receiving, storage, foodservice equipment and equipment maintenance, inventory, budgets, and analysis of foodservice operations
- Working knowledge and experience with the Microsoft Office Suite, Excel spread sheets, and extensive knowledge of point of sale systems (POS)
- Ability to lift heavy items from floor to counter height, maneuver objects and perform certain duties at or well above counter height, traverse long distances, which requires mobility and physical demands
- Ability to work in a changing environment of irregular temperatures (indoor and outdoor), year-round
- Ability to work a schedule that does not consist of standard office hours and will include some evenings, weekends, special events, and holidays as required by the needs of the business
Minimum Required Experience
- Extensive experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities at this level are typically acquired with a four (4) year degree in hospitality or foodservice management or a related field, plus a minimum of four (4) years of directly related experience, or a two (2) year degree from an accredited culinary program, with six (6) years of related food service management experience. Three (3) of those years must be in an operation which has served alcohol to the public
- TIPS training, or the ability to become trained within two (2) weeks of hire
- Management ServSafe certification, or the ability to obtain certification within four (4) months of hire
- Valid Montana driver’s license or the ability to obtain a license within four (4) months of hire
Position Title: Iron Griz Manager (Culinary Services Manager II)
Position Number: 106350
Department: UM Dining
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), 12 months/year. Position requires alternative work schedule.
Salary: $21.169 per hour – Position is exempt from overtime.
Union Affiliation: None
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Wednesday, May 26, 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related the stated required skills for the position.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular