Academic Coach and Tutoring Coordinator
Academic Coach and Tutoring Coordinator
About Champlain College:
Founded in 1878, Champlain College is a small, private, not-for-profit college in Burlington, Vermont overlooking Lake Champlain and the Adirondack mountains, with additional campuses in Montreal, Canada, and Dublin, Ireland. Its career-driven approach to higher education prepares students for professional life from their very first semester. For the fifth year in a row, Champlain was named a "Most Innovative School" in the North by U.S. News & World Report's "America's Best Colleges" 2020 regional rankings and listed among The Princeton Review's "The Best 385 Colleges" in 2020. Champlain is also featured in the 2021 Fiske Guide to Colleges as one of the "best and most interesting schools" in the United States, Canada, and Great Britain and is recognized as a 2020 College of Distinction for its "Engagement, Teaching, Community, and Outcomes. The College offers 30 undergraduate degrees as well as online undergraduate, graduate, and certificate programs.
Champlain's Centers of Experience provide students from across all majors with experiential learning environments that guide them in how to take their classroom knowledge and put it to the test in practical applications allowing them to gain real-world experience firsthand. Each Center connects Champlain to the local community and the world, turning theory into practice. The Centers entrust students with responsibility, engage them in ambitious goals and empower them to lead with creativity, confidence, insight, and integrity. At the helms of the Centers are cutting-edge industry professionals who share the goal of providing the most relevant, career-focused education, enriched with hands-on learning opportunities.
Champlain College seeks a supportive Academic Coach and Tutoring Coordinator for a part-time (29 hrs) role for the academic year. This position in the Department of Academic Support and Coaching Services assists the Director in the facilitation of an academic support center (SMART Space) providing direct services to Champlain College students. The SMART Space provides services to approximately 600 students each academic year; total annual visits average 2,500. The qualified candidate will be primarily responsible for maintaining national accreditation as a tutor training facility, following College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) guidelines. This will involve the responsibility of training and supervising a part-time staff of 40 student tutors and overseeing the management of seven peer-tutoring labs in collaboration with the Director.
Other primary responsibilities include direct academic coaching to undergraduate students. Required proficiencies include teaching strategies related to improving executive function (task initiation/time management, prioritizing/organization/activation, metacognitive strategies/utilizing working memory and recall, long and short-term goal setting, self-regulation), interpersonal skills (active listening, empathy, problem-solving, relationship-building), and knowledge of best practices in appreciative coaching (creating a welcoming environment; using positive, open-ended questions; encouraging students to envision their future; and helping students achieve their goals).
- Facilitate coaching sessions with individual students and lead group coaching/workshops following the departmental guidelines and best practices in coaching.
- Complete scheduling and determine regular communication plan with clients.
- Assess student needs and determine individual support plans. Prepare instructional materials and distribute appropriate resources.
- Maintain notes/data entry related to work with students. Create reports related to student profiles and navigate case management approach with other departments as needed. Gather quantitative and qualitative feedback from clients at the end of each semester and analyze to improve performance.
- Hire student workers to provide peer tutoring in seven labs. Oversee tutor schedules, monitor progress, and evaluate effectiveness of peer tutoring labs
- Create and facilitate ongoing tutor training to meet the criteria of the CRLA Master Tutor endorsement. Prepare instructional materials, distribute appropriate resources, and assess impact.
- Maintain yearly evaluation process and documentation required to sustain accreditation with the College Reading and Learning Association. Contribute all relevant data on tutoring services to the annual report.
- Coordinate tutor training process with Director and Faculty liaisons to each lab.
- Represent the SMART Space at Campus-wide events to promote our services and improve inter-departmental collaboration.
- Participate in campus-wide events or committees relevant to support the SMART Space mission to ensure student success and retention. This may include Admissions events for prospective students or Orientation for currently enrolled students.
- Support collaboration with Student Affairs or other campus colleagues. Facilitate trainings for student leader groups on campus: Resident Assistants, Office of International Education, etc.
- Engage in other SMART Space initiatives as determined in collaboration with the Director. This may include creating a probation pilot program, coordinating outreach to at-risk students, Faculty/Staff Book group, or personalizing a Champlain student planner.
Additional responsibilities include researching, creating, and presenting appropriate instructional materials and collecting data to assess the impact of our programming and determine future needs to meet our department's mission to ensure student success and retention. The ability to foster collaboration between various stakeholder groups is also an essential component of this role.
- 3-5 years of relevant experience - work in an educational setting required, experience in higher education preferred.
- Bachelors degree in Education or related field required. Advanced degree preferred. Familiarity with executive functioning research and skill-building strategies required.
The successful completion of a criminal background check is required as a condition of employment.
Application materials must include a resume/CV and a letter of interest (Cover Letter) specifically addressing the desired qualifications.
Champlain College does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, religion, age, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, veteran or military service status, HIV -positive status, qualified disability, or on the basis of any other status protected by law, and does not discriminate in the administration of its education and admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, employment practices or co-curricular and other College-administered programs. Champlain College will make reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified students, applicants for admission or employment, or employees. Please contact the People Center at 802.651.5800 with questions concerning the hiring process or future employment at Champlain College, or if auxiliary aids or services are needed to apply for employment at Champlain College.
Champlain College is committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse community. Recognizing that diversity is both a reflection of our world and a source of rich education, Champlain strives to be diverse and inclusive in ways that reflect the world in which we live and work. All members of the Champlain community are valued as individuals.
The College seeks candidates who, through their work and life experiences, service to the community, teaching or research can contribute to the diversity, inclusivity and academic excellence of Champlain College. Please include information about how you would contribute to these efforts and help to further this goal in your letter of interest/cover letter.
In order to be considered for the position, you must upload a resume.
EU Employee Data Protection Notice:
For more information and to apply, please go to
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Burlington
- Student Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Burlington
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Burlington
- Career Services Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Burlington