Research Engineer III - Structural Engineer
Research Engineer III - Structural Engineer
Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and the recognized leader in experience-driven lifelong learning. Our world-renowned experiential approach empowers our students, faculty, alumni, and partners to create impact far beyond the confines of discipline, degree, and campus.
Our locations—in Boston; Charlotte, North Carolina; London; Portland, Maine; San Francisco; Seattle; Silicon Valley; Toronto; Vancouver; and the Massachusetts communities of Burlington and Nahant—are nodes in our growing global university system. Through this network, we expand opportunities for flexible, student-centered learning and collaborative, solutions-focused research.
Northeastern's comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate programs— in a variety of on-campus and online formats—lead to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Among these, we offer more than 195 multi-discipline majors and degrees designed to prepare students for purposeful lives and careers.
About the Opportunity:
Kostas Research Institute for Homeland Security at Northeastern University is seeking an enthusiastic Research Engineer III with experience in Structural Engineering. The primary responsibility of the candidate is to develop and implement/oversee start-to-finish project roadmaps and high-level strategy. The candidate will communicate research across multiple projects and interdisciplinary teams to develop comprehensive engineering plans. Our ideal candidate should have considerable professional experience, including a proven record of leadership and a portfolio of successful projects. The candidate should have an interest in managing highly collaborative research efforts with scientists and engineers. It is expected that the candidate will also contribute to, and lead research grant/proposals and reports, write manuscripts, and provide technical oversight of junior team members.
This position is located on Northeastern University's Innovation Campus at Burlington, MA with travel to the main university campus in downtown Boston or other regional campuses as needed. The position is with Kostas Research Institute and will report to the Chief Technology Officer. Close partnership with and support of the KRI Senior Scientists for DoD contracts is required.
Research & Development
- Design, develop and implement engineering plans as well as high-level strategy
- Build out structural prototypes (at scale) while coordinating with commercial and other partners
- Oversee testing and evaluation of technology & structures
- Researching and maintaining knowledge of various engineering disciplines, application methods, and materials
- Provide guidance and assistance to subcontractors/team members on design specifications
- Ensure the team works together to achieve set goals and targets
- Engage in technical communication/discussion with both internal and external collaborators to develop products
- Document and effectively communicate research results to the business leadership and external parties as required
- Laboratory management; including providing technical oversight for laboratory technical staff and junior research team members
Obtain Research Funding
- Write and/or contribute to research proposals and develop budgets and other technical project related materials
- Develop relationships, funding pipelines, and provide opportunities to further NU and KRI, LLC goals and objectives
- MS in systems structural engineering, or related field
- 6+ years' experience in engineering development with proven leadership ability and a portfolio of successful projects
- Expert proficiency with drafting software tools (e.g. CAD and AutoCAD software)
- Proven track record of ability to manage and prioritize assigned tasks/projects simultaneously through communication with engineers/scientists/interns to meet the overall expectations and needs of the company
- Strong technical expertise and demonstrated independence in the design and execution of experiments
- Excellent communication skills including oral presentations and written technical reports
- Experience representing the research program at off-site locations with customers
- Eligibility for National Security Clearance
- Experience executing DoD sponsored programs
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/879/cw/en-us/job/506233