Director of Public Relations
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, political science, marketing, public relations, communications or related field.
- Relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Five years of progressively responsible, professional experience related to area of assignment, including two years of supervisory experience.
- Ability to develop public relations strategies;
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with members of the community, media, business and industry;
- Assist in planning and executing special events;
- Communicate effectively through oral and written mediums.
- Manage budgets;
- Develop creative concepts and messages to achieve desired objectives and College branding;
- Ability to multi-task
- Work with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff
- Communicate effectively with all levels of management, board of directors, staff and external individuals and groups, including media representatives
- Analyze and interpret data and information and making appropriate recommendations based on findings
- Prepare a variety of written materials, including speeches, presentations, magazine and web articles; blog posts, news releases and media advisories.
- Utilize computer technology for communication, data gathering and reporting activities
- In collaboration with the other College Advancement managers, provides leadership for the media and public relations components of the College’s Integrated Marketing and Communications Plan.
- Manages media relations for the College, developing and implementing a strategic media relations campaign to ensure a positive public image for the College. Works with both traditional news media and “non-news” media, such as talk shows, advertorials and bloggers to obtain coverage for the College.
- Plans external audience special events for the College, aggressively seeking opportunities to “make news” that generates coverage. Provides guidance and support to departments and campuses planning events and other public relations activities.
- Represents College administration at public relations strategy meetings with business and industry, education, other partners and with media outlets for shared promotional efforts.
- Represents College administration at public events, press conferences and meetings, and assists leaders with public appearances.
- Develops and disseminates public relations materials, including press releases, media packets, feature stories for the college website and magazine, social media content and internal communication pieces.
- Researches and helps develop communications and talking points for College leaders.
- Serves as the College’s public information officer and principal spokesperson to the public and the media.
- Confers with department directors, committees, managers, and staff teams to provide public relations consultation. Develops related strategies and provides training on how to implement strategies.
- Participates in planning and allocating the departmental budget, which includes: monitoring spending, approving purchases, reallocating funds, and monitoring blanket purchase orders.
QUALITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Sound work ethics
- Proven Skills
- Listening skills
- Team player
SUPERVISION AND EVALUATION
- Performance of this job will be evaluated annually by the immediate supervisor in accordance with provisions of the Jarvis Christian College Administrative Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Success in the workplace depends on a strong commitment to the tasks assigned, respect for others and confidentiality in handling, and dealing with prospects, and sensitive constituent information
- Honesty, integrity, and treating others with respect are expected at all times.
- Good presentation skills which include, but not limited to, professional dress/business attire, excellent personal grooming, and excellent verbal, as well as, written skills.
Apply for Director of Public Relations
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly