Computer Support Specialist I, Information Technology
Information Technology (IT) invites applications for a Computer Support Specialist I . Reporting to the Technical Service Managers of Client Experience in UM Information Technology, the individual in this position is responsible for providing day to day technical support and service to UM students, staff and faculty. This support is primarily for UM provided hardware, software and systems, though minimal support may be provided to end-user's personal devices to aid them in using UM systems, such as the learning management system, Moodle.
This position will also be responsible for provisioning and deploying new hardware to end-users and decommissioning old hardware before sending to Facility Services as e-waste.
- Ability to provide customer service, be service oriented, forward looking, and innovative
- Ability to use standard office and technical tools, such as:
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Network shares
- Command line and console interaction
- Remote Desktop Connection and other remote computing tools
- Ability to adapt to changes in client needs as well as policies and procedures
- Knowledge of operating systems and client devices:
- Mac OS
- Smart Phones
- Demonstrated ability to effectively troubleshoot end-user issues as well as back-end systems
- Communicate technical details effectively with lay users in person, over the phone, and in writing
- Ability to fully and effectively document implementations according to office standards
- Demonstrates ability to work and function within a team environment and has the ability to multi-task
Minimum Required Experience
- Associates degree in a relevant information technology field and at least two (2) years of technical support experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
About IT and UM
IT core values
- You are prepared and able to change directions when appropriate
- You have the courage to try new things and accept failures
- You learn from failures and successes
- You don’t accept the status quo
- You learn and grow continuously
- You share all information necessary for group success
- You ask for help when you need it
- You value team success over individual accolades
- You are willing to work across organizational boundaries
- You leave your comfort zone to invest in building and preserving relationships
- You trust and are trustworthy
- You respect others
- You actively listen
- You help your colleagues
- You help find a solution to the problem, not an answer to the question
- You own your client’s problem
- You genuinely want to help others succeed
- Your response to requests is “Yes, and . . . “
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Position Title: Computer Support Specialist I
Position Number: 077960
Department: Information Technology
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year, with flexibility for special projects.
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Monday , May 17, 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Computer Sciences & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner