Animal Care Specialist - L
Animal Care Specialist - L
Department: Dean of the Faculty Office
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Work Schedule: Tuesday - Saturday; 8:30am - 5:00pm
Employee Type: Staff
Posting Date: 04/26/2021
Union Representation: CWA
Posting Number: AS061P
Pay Rate: $16.00/hour
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and applications from women, individuals with disabilities and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
This entry level position is ideal for those interested in careers in laboratory animal research or veterinary medicine. Regular work schedule is Tuesday - Saturday.
- Perform animal husbandry duties for rats, mice, other rodents,
birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish and other organisms, complying
with all procedures and internal guidelines.
- Perform daily animal health observations and communicate health
issues to appropriate personnel.
- Operate equipment and use supplies according to safety
guidelines, perform general housekeeping and adhere to safety
- Maintain exacting hygienic standards and practice clean room
technique as instructed.
- Provide work direction to student employees and perform other
duties as assigned.
- Must be willing to work some holidays and one weekend day/week, as well as occasional overtime hours.
- Associates degree in Animal Husbandry, Biology or related field
required, bachelor’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of one year of relevant previous experience in an
animal care facility, a veterinary facility, a clinical setting or
a research setting required.
- Proficiency with basic technical procedures, knowledge of clean
room techniques or willingness and ability to learn them quickly
- Good working knowledge of word processing software and
- Must have strong organizational and communication skills, focus
and attention to detail and ability to follow exacting written and
- The job requires the ability to work both independently and as
part of a team.
- Requires the ability to undertake physical work, repetitive motion and to regularly move, position, place, push and pull up to and including 50 pounds.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/1868.