Executive Director - Ed Foundation
The Birmingham Education Foundation (Ed) is dedicated to increasing the number of students in the Birmingham City Schools that are on the path to college, career, and life readiness. We believe that this is only possible by cultivating a diverse network of people who demand excellence for our students and inspire others to do the same.
Ed was founded to support students, educators, and families served by Birmingham City Schools and our vision has always been to do that in alignment, in conversation, and in partnership with them. We want to hold ourselves accountable to asking questions and engaging directly with our constituents to ensure our work is aligned to what they say.
The Executive Director will execute the vision and day-to-day management of the Birmingham Education Foundation (BEF) including as the lead for the Birmingham Education Foundation in the community.
- Responsible for leading BEF in a manner that supports and guides the mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly to make informed decisions.
- Liaison to Board of Directors including developing agendas for board meetings and managing all Board related matters.
- Responsible for leading and guiding the initiatives with the Junior Board in alignment with BEF organizational strategic plan.
Organization Mission and Strategy:
- Implement the vision and strategic plan for BEF.
- Enhance BEF’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
- Lead storytelling and communications efforts including participating in external speaking events.
- Lead development of external strategic partnerships
- Direct liaison to Superintendent and Birmingham Board of Education.
- Serves as BEF’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media, and the general public.
- Responsible for leading and setting clear direction for the BEF team including leadership, office, and fundraising teams.
- Assigns ownership and accountability for all projects and BEF initiatives.
- Responsible for BEF team development and cohesiveness to ensure maximum talent utilization and development including responsible for the hiring and retention of qualified staff and HR processes.
- Works with the board, junior board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Manage contract employees including HR, accounting, grant writing, and fundraising support.
Financial Performance and Viability:
- Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of BEF.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of BEF, including development and management of monthly financial statements and annual budget.
- Develop and lead fundraising plans including relationships with current and potential funders.
- Approve expenses and support financial processes related to annual audit.
EDUCATION & REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree required with 5-7 years experience leading a team; non-profit experience is preferred.
- Proven ability to effectively lead and motivate a team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Comfortable with public speaking and experience delivering speeches, podcasts and/or webinars.
- Demonstrated capability to prioritize effectively.
- Proven track record in fundraising preferred.
- Previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, partner agencies, and volunteers.
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (or Google Drive) suite especially MS Word (Docs), PowerPoint (Slides), Excel.
- Ability to manage competing obligations and deadlines.
- Adapts to changing circumstances and goals.
- Believes disruption is required for educational innovation and supports entrepreneurialism in education.
- Collaborates well in team environments and with diverse populations.
- Accepts and delivers constructive criticism in pursuit of improved performance.
- Uses critical thinking, takes calculated risks and asks good questions.
- Assumes the best in people.
- Shares our sense of urgency in improving education for underserved populations.
- Demonstrated belief in the equality of education for all students.
OUR WAY OF WORK
BEF is a remote-friendly organization, and we are located on the southside of Birmingham. Our primary customers are students, school administrators, and community stakeholders. The flexibility to work remotely helps ensure our ability to accommodate their needs and schedules. We do host mandatory weekly, monthly and quarterly meetings, and all team members are expected to attend.
In addition, each department/team director may have additional meetings or events that this position will be required to attend. The frequency of meetings and attendance requirements may vary and is driven by team, department, and organizational demands.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
BEF provides an equitable and competitive compensation package that includes:
- Salary range commensurate with experience
- Health and dental insurance provided by the organization
- Retirement plan with matching contributions
- Generous vacation and paid holidays
- Professional development opportunities
TO EXPRESS YOUR INTEREST
TO APPLY, submit your cover letter and resume prior to May 15, 2021. Send via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “BEF- Executive Director” in the subject line.
To ensure your resume is considered, PLEASE follow the submission process. And PLEASE – no direct emails or phone calls to BEF staff. They are focused on the mission, while we’re focused on the Executive Director search. Thank you.
For more information about BEF and its programs, visit https://www.edbirmingham.org
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND SERVICE PROVIDER
BEF is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to recruit, hire, train and promote/serve persons without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, political ideology, veteran status, or any other classification protected by local, state or federal law. All staff and volunteers will adhere to all anti-discrimination policies and procedures. BEF will make reasonable accommodations for individuals with known disabilities as long as they do not create an undue burden in accordance with local, state, and federal law.