Visiting Assistant Professor of International Studies
The International Studies Department at Marymount Manhattan College (MMC) seeks applications for a Visiting Assistant Professor in International Studies with expertise in the field of sustainable development to begin Fall 2021 pending final budget approval. The position is a full-time, one-year appointment for 2021-22 with a 4/4 teaching load.
- A PhD in International Development, Geography or a related social science field with expertise in those areas;
- A record of professional accomplishment;
- Expertise in the areas of sustainable development, globalization; and/or social movements; regional expertise preferred (Latin America, Middle East, Africa);
- Ability to teach the following classes: Globalizations of Past and Present (introductory level) and Development and Global Change (upper level).
- Eligibility to work in the United States.
- Teaching responsibilities (4/4 load) include a range of introductory to advanced courses in sustainable development and globalization with possible regional focus;
- Additional responsibilities include 1) advising and mentoring students, including those seeking internships; 2) holding regular office hours; 3) participating in department, divisional, and college-wide meetings; 4) participating in the life of the department and the College.
Application Materials and Process:
Candidates should send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references. We also ask that all candidates submit a personal statement that details how they have worked to promote equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) in their previous positions, and how they would plan to continue to do so at Marymount Manhattan College. Additional materials may be requested.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. All application materials should be sent to: Humsoc@mmm.edu.
About MMC’s International Studies program:
The International Studies Department at MMC provides students with a deep understanding of social and political issues across the globe. It is anchored in the critical investigation of human rights, international relations, peace and security, global cultures, and development. The department, through its interdisciplinary perspectives, allows students to specialize in governance and security; development and social change; or culture and identity.
About Marymount Manhattan College:
Marymount Manhattan College (MMC) is an independent, private, dynamic, liberal arts college on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Faithful to the vision of its founders, the College has a long history of reaching out to diverse populations in need of higher education. The College student body continues to become more diverse as we recruit students from underrepresented groups, including more first-generation-, LGBTQIA+-, and ethnically diverse students from a national pool. Providing a small college experience in the heart of the city, MMC enrolls approximately 2,000 students with an 11:1 student-teacher ratio. We emphasize community-based and hands-on learning. MMC graduates identify themselves as creative changemakers. At Marymount Manhattan College, we fundamentally believe that creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community is a goal to be fervently pursued and translated into action. We place importance on culturally competent faculty who demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusivity, and who will work towards these values. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. For more information about our commitment to diversity, please go to https://www.mmm.edu/offices/presidents-office/diversity-inclusion.
Marymount Manhattan College is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
Apply for Visiting Assistant Professor of International Studies
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly