Budget Analyst II, College of Health
The College of Health invites applications for the position of a Budget Analyst II. This position plays a significant role in the CoH by providing support for fiscal and academic affairs that rise to the level of the Dean. Reporting dually to the Dean of the College of Health and CoH Director of Operations & Finance, this position serves as a liaison for the College maintaining positive relationships with all CoH faculty, staff, chairs and directors, and colleagues across campus in Business Services, Human Resource Services, Office of Sponsored Programs, and the UM Foundation.
This position supports the Director of Operations & Finance with a variety of accounting and research finance-related matters. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Processing accounts payable and receivable
- Providing timely and accurate fiscal reports for SPABA reconciliation
- Assisting in management and reporting of select grant-related expenditures and gift accounts
- Consulting on the preparation of budgets for grant proposals for faculty and administrators
- Serving as account manager for reconciling purchase card transactions for cardholders in the Dean’s Office and as business manager for all cardholders in the CoH
- Completing various accounting transactions with regard to balancing budgets, transfers between units, and correcting erroneous entries for general, designated, auxiliary, foundation and grant funds
- Processing human resource transactions with regard to hiring, labor distribution changes, compensation entries as well as processing payroll
- Serving as administrative support for the Dean through management of his/her calendar and travel itineraries
- Coordinating select College events (e.g., the All College Meeting, Administrative Committee Meetings, etc.), which may also include taking meeting minutes
- Overseeing the Faculty Evaluation process for the College
- Other duties as assigned
This position works collaboratively with other administrators in the Dean’s Office and serves as a supervisor for student employees and expert resource in the areas of research-related finance and faculty evaluation for administrative colleagues across the College. This will complete electronic personnel action forms (EPAFs) for student employees and approve EPAFs submitted by colleagues in the College, which involves decision making regarding rates of pay and labor distribution
This position requires incumbent to develop a working knowledge of the University of Montana financial systems and be able to make financial decisions based upon knowledge of funding requirements and financial information obtained from University of Montana financial systems; and develop proficiency at processing transactions within all University platforms such as U-Approve, GrizMart, Banner, InfoGriz and ePaf; develop the ability to represent the CoH and its interests in a professional and conscientious manner; and develop a working knowledge of and demonstrated ability to interpret, communicate, and apply federal, state, MUS and university policy and procedure.
- Critical analysis skills in developing solutions to challenges/issues/complaints
- Organization skills with ability to manage and prioritize multiple complex tasks independently and efficiently and work well under pressure
- Displays a high-degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Strategic thinking skills and ability to retain knowledge of the process and procedures needed to complete work
- Maintains confidentiality, uses sound judgement, credibility, maturity and integrity and acts with tact, diplomacy, and is discreet as needed
- Excellent computer proficiency and the ability to learn and effectively use UM specific applications
- Exceptional communication skills both orally and in writing to communicate the mission of the unit and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships
- Commitment to diversity and the inclusion of different perspectives
Minimum Required Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalency) in business or a related field, in addition to three (3) years of closely related experience; or any combination of experience and education that provides the competencies necessary to successfully discharge the duties and responsibilities assigned to the position.
- Five (5) years of experience in finance, accounting or a related field
- Prior experience with grant-related fiscal management and understanding of F&A returns
- Prior experience and knowledge of UM systems, policies and procedures
- Understanding of the unique needs and requirements associated with the education of health professionals
- Demonstrated skills in working in an educational environment utilizing a customer service orientation
About the College of Health and UM
The College of Health dedicated to improving the health and quality of life for Montanans, our nation, and our international community. Our mission is to recruit students into the health professions, execute the highest quality education for those students, create new programs to meet the workforce needs of our growing & diverse population, strengthen relationships with rural and urban community partners, lead impactful research, and encourage interprofessional education. We strive to accomplish these goals while promoting student success, celebrating diversity, implementing team-based health care education opportunities, and conducting research with an impact.
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story. We encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disability preference in accordance with state law.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- The State of Montana
Position Title: Budget Analyst II, College of Health
Position Number: New
Department: College of Health
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year,
Salary: $18.876/hr – Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and will minimally be this posted salary. For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department .
Union Affiliation: FOCUS - MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Thursday, May 13, 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Need additional help? Check out our UM Jobs FAQ website.
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular