Technical Support Analyst
Technical Support Analyst
Main Campus - Boston, MA
The Technology Support Analyst will provide media services and IT support for Simmons Faculty, students and staff. The analyst will also provide project-related support (e.g. classroom media upgrades, desktop upgrades, customer training, deployments of new IT services) as needed. This position requires well rounded media, desktop, technical, and project skills and the ability to resolve the majority of issues without escalation to another resource. The ability to provide outstanding customer service is a must. The analyst works assisting a Senior AV/Media Engineer with more complex projects and works for a Support Manager in delivering daily break/fix support, service request fulfillment, event planning and support. The successful candidate will demonstrate a professional demeanor with well-developed interpersonal and customer service skills. Individual is expected to have and maintain a current broad-based knowledge of computer hardware, software, and networking technologies.
Campus media services include: audio, video, control systems technologies (Crestron, Extron), video teleconferencing (VTC), web conferencing, audio mixers, ceiling and wall mounted speakers, video display devices (projectors, screens, large screen flat panel TVs), AV media sources (DVD, VCR, PCs ,etc.), PC interfaces, AV cables and terminations, and AV mounting devices. Campus technology services include: hardware and software support for Dell/Windows and Apple/iOS PCs and laptops, mobile devices, printers, and basic networking support.
1) Support & Operations
- Advanced media support (at point-of-need, over the phone, and
via email) for students, faculty, and staff. Support issues
include: complex setup of media for classroom/meeting space/event;
resolving media equipment and configuration problems; and
checking-in/out of media equipment.
- Advanced technical support (in-person walk-up, over the phone,
and email) for faculty, staff, and students. Support issues
include: complex break-fix; service requests; check-in/out of
desktop and mobile computing equipment; printer resolution;
application access; how-to consulting on software packages,
login/access issues, malware removal and mobile device
- Technical documentation. Creating and updating knowledge base
documentation. Improve searching for content through tagging and
association. Prepares end-user how-to documentation on embedded
media/AV equipment and solutions.
- Trains and mentors junior, part-time support staff on
technology, equipment, systems, operations, and procedures; also
delivers end-user training.
- Coordinates and participates in event setup and support as
required. Periodic events require non-business hours shift work
(e.g. commencement, orientation, executive conferences, seminars,
2) Consultation & Solutions
- Works closely with Simmons College departmental clients to
ensure their needs are met through consulting, operations, and
support. Ensures high profile and executive level events are
effectively planned and supported.
- Participates in design and implementation of AV/Media systems
to ensure alignment with faculty, staff, and student
- Participate in project work as required, including non-business
hour deployments and support (e.g. periodic nights and
- Research and recommend equipment and application purchases for
directly for customers as well as for wider potential use at
- Bachelor's degree in IT/IS related field or equivalent
- 3+ years of experience delivering customer service either in
person or over the phone.
- 3+ years of experience supporting AV and VTC
- Experience supporting multimedia, classroom, or special event
- Experience installing and configuring Windows and Mac OS X
- Experience documenting technical information for support
- Advanced knowledge of Macintosh (Mac OSX), Microsoft Windows,
Intel-based PC computers, network, and graphics software packages
including, but not limited to, MS desktop office suites, scientific
applications, browsers, Google Apps and anti-virus
- Understanding of common network protocols like DHCP, DNS, SMTP,
- Proficient with mobile computing solution support, integration
and configuration (Smartphones, tablets, Android, iOS,
- Attention to detail is a must.
- Ability to work individually and as a member of a team is
- Experience with Active / Open Directory and Windows
- Understanding of fundamental security principles, and
- Experience implementing small to medium-sized IT or media/AV
- Knowledge of ticketing systems (e.g Cherwell, ServiceNow, Heat,
- Experience designing, setting up, and operating large outdoor
PA systems, H.323 video conferencing, or audio
conferencing/discussion system for 50+ participants.
- Experience in a higher education or desk side (in person)
- ITIL Foundations Certification and ACMT are
Must be available to work 8 hour shift between 7am-7pm M-F. Occasional weekend and overtime is required during peak periods (e.g. semester start up).
Required Application Materials:
- Cover Letter
Instructions to Applicants: Please upload all applicable application materials (e.g. resume/cv, cover letter, writing sample, teaching philosophy, etc.) in the "Resume/CV" box on page 2 ("My Experience") of this application. Documents can be uploaded individually or as a combined document (e.g. PDF).
Simmons University is committed to inclusive excellence in all aspects of an individual's community experience. As a university committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, Simmons encourages applications from all under-represented groups. Simmons is committed to creating, developing, promoting, and enhancing inclusive hiring practices-at all levels, for all positions-ensuring diverse talent pools and the delivery of a consistent positive candidate experience. Simmons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to continuing to develop a more diverse faculty, staff, student body, and curriculum.
To apply, visit https://simmons.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Simmons-Careers/job/Main-Campus---Boston-MA/Technical-Support-Analyst_R07520-1
Located in Boston’s historic Fenway area, Simmons College is a small, private, non-sectarian College which has educated students for enriching careers and purposeful lives since 1899. Working at Simmons means joining a collaborative, diverse and mission-driven community of educators and professionals.
We prepare students to be leaders for themselves, their communities and the world. Our faculty and staff members lead by example - sharing a commitment to excellence and putting the students first.