Director, Campus Life
Director, Campus Life
Posting Number: 0000803
Reports to: Vice President, Student Affairs
Department: Student Services
Full or Part-time: Full Time
This is a 40 hour per week salaried exempt position. The Director of Campus Life is responsible for the overall management of the student housing community, and student life at the College. The director ensures the development and maintenance of a safe, healthy and academically-focused community in the residence hall, with a focus on creating supportive and inclusive communities in which all of our students have the means and environment for success. The director provides strategic and visionary leadership for the student and professional staff. This position plays a key role in management of the student conduct process, crisis response and case management for students and families. The director also provides programs, services, and facilities that support student engagement, learning, and success. Provides oversight in planning, developing, implementing and advising on programs, services, activities and processes for students in their non-academic life at the college, including, student organizations, civic engagement, leadership development, new student orientation, and other student resources for a vibrant, inclusive student body.
1.Facilitate the development of a campus community by creating opportunities for residents and students to interact. Solicit, plan, organize and implement campus wide events and activities that meet the intellectual, social, cultural and academic needs of students and residents. Oversee RA’s in the execution of plans. Guide and support residents and students in their efforts to prepare for lifestyle and career choices.
2. Participate in college recruiting activities including open houses, high school visits, assisting with the opening and transitioning at the beginning and end of each term and other officially scheduled breaks.
3. Provide strategic vision in support of a comprehensive and integrated student engagement program to enhance students’ sense of belonging at the college through social, multicultural, co-curricular, and experiential opportunities through various campus and community based activities.
4. Oversee planning, coordination and supervision of student organizations, including generating interest in new student organizations, training student leaders and faculty/staff advisors, and producing an annual club manual for student organizations, officers and advisors.
5. Direct oversite oversight of New Student Orientation, Welcome week, Economic Club Student Experience, Make a Difference Day, MLK Day, All USA, and co-advise Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
6. Manage Housing Agreement submissions, room assignment process, housing eligibility, background checks and housing lease billing.
7. Provide supervision and training for the RAs and GA’s throughout the year, leads RA & GA staff meetings.
8. Manage operating and capital budgets including but not limited to the development of annual budget, planning for unexpected expenses, tracking and approving expenditures, and process invoices for payment.
9. Oversee facility management program including an active preventive maintenance plan, maintenance ticket system, well-regulated housekeeping and grounds-keeping plan, inventory control and assess management, and ongoing quality improvement efforts.
10. Supervise and evaluate student staff (direct and indirect reporting), conduct regular performance reviews, hold staff accountable, and address complaints, mediate conflicts that occur between residents and resolve issues.
11. Monitor and ensure compliance with the development and implementation of policies, procedures, professional standards, laws and national trends as applicable, handbooks, and plans and policies for Campus Life, student conduct, and Student Organizations including but not limited to: student senate, student activities/events, campus clubs/organizations and interest groups.
12. Direct oversight of the Campus life pages of the LMC Website, social hubs or other portals for student communication
13. Develop and maintain effective working relationships with students, campus administrative leadership, and faculty. Collaborate with academic departments, Deans, Directors and other key campus partners to support college initiatives.
14. Responsible for crisis response, risk management and serves in the “on call” rotation with other staff.
15. Serve as the primary contact for all student conduct concerns.
16. Conduct, oversee all functions related to student conduct as it relates to Lake Michigan College policies.
17. Manage all cases through the Maxient system ensures timely processions and resolution.
18. Keep the Vice President of Student affairs aware of significant incidents occurring at the college.
19. Participate and contribute in broader Student Life programs, campus events, and athletic initiatives as necessary.
20. Perform other duties as assigned.
The manner in which campus life operates has a profound effect on the total College experience and academic success of all students on campus. The Campus Life experience also directly effects student retention, persistence, and success. It is the responsibility of the director to ensure that the total campus experience is a positive one for all students and that a sense of community is developed.
The director shall establish and occupy a dwelling within the 20 miles of the nearest boundary of the College; and maintain this dwelling as their primary residence at which they eat their meals, receive their mail, sleep, maintain their voter registration, driver’s license address, tax address and in all manners maintain as a normal residence. The above distance limitation shall be measured in a straight line between the director’s place of residence and the nearest boundary of the college. The director shall establish and occupy and the dwelling within sixty (60) day of their employment hire date
Under the limited supervision of Vice President of Student Affairs
Bachelor’s Degree is required, Master’s Degree Preferred. Four to six years progressively responsible experience in a higher education environment is required. A comprehensive understanding of student development, cultural diversity, and managing confidential crisis issues is expected.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Summer hours from May- August
College fully funds health insurance deductible.
Benefits immediately start first day of employment.
Due to necessary scheduling changes, our recruitment process is experiencing delays.
Official College transcripts required upon hire.
Open Date: 04/30/2021
To apply, visit https://lmc.simplehire.com/postings/3576
About Lake Michigan College
Lake Michigan College is a community college in southwest Michigan. We have three campuses --two of which are located ten minutes from our namesake’s breathtaking shoreline.
Like other community colleges, we offer associate degrees, certificates, and even a baccalaureate degree. But what sets us apart from our peers is our seemingly limitless potential and our people - people who care deeply about our region’s future and who are committed to student success and exemplary educational programs, strong alignments with both established and emerging industries, and productive partnerships with the communities we serve.
Faculty and staff at LMC enjoy excellent benefits and a supportive and friendly work environment. LMC recently received a Capital Outlay grant from the State of Michigan and a new millage from the southwest Michigan community, so the college’s facilities will be getting innovative, sustainable upgrades in the next few years that will contribute to the comfort, productivity and collaborative environment for all employees.
Living in Southwest Michigan
Southwest Michigan attracts millions of tourists who come for our beaches, wineries, and nationally acclaimed golf courses. But many who visit, choose to stay for our great schools, low cost of living, and high quality of life.
LMC’s main campus is nestled in a watery and wooded wildlife sanctuary, yet it’s less than a half-day’s drive from major metro areas including Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, and Indianapolis.