Career Development Advisor
Career Development Advisor
Athens State University
Closing Date: 5/20/2021
Responsibilities include student assistance in career planning and job search skills; analyzing and sharing workforce trends by industry; and building and strengthening employer relationships. In addition, the Advisor will provide teaching and support for UNV400 Career Seminar delivery.
- Assist students with career planning through coaching and job
search strategy development
- Provide critique and preparation for all aspects of job search
including resume writing, interviewing skills, networking
techniques, review of industry trends and opportunities through one
on one counseling, group settings and workshops in person and
- Work with Career Development Center team to maintain and
strengthen employer relations and job leads for
- Teach UNV300/400 as needed and provide assessment reports from
the courses taught.
- Provide weekly time and effort report to Title III Grant
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with
students, staff, faculty, and human resource
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Career
• Master’s degree from an accredited institution
• 1-2 years of experience in student counseling, recruitment, and/or professional training
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS AND JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Ability to work as a team player.
• Excellent interpersonal, administrative, and supervisory skills.
• Demonstrate positive attitudes and positive actions through a display of courtesy, congeniality, cooperation, sensitivity, and professionalism.
• Understanding of career development issues affecting students and the ability to identify and analyze trends.
• Strong skills in written and oral expression.
• Computer literacy and a working ability with database software and online resources in support of career services work.
Salary Band: P55
To view salary schedules, visit:
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Benefits available as appropriate for sponsored programs.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Unofficial transcripts should be from the college or university which verifies minimum qualifications for the position. Upon an offer of employment, official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended must be submitted. Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
Please provide contact information for three professional references on your application.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://jobs.athens.edu/postings/search
About Athens State University
Located in historic Athens, Alabama, Athens State University offers junior and senior-level coursework to community college graduates and transfer students holding sufficient credits from other institutions. Presently, over 3,100 students have selected Athens State because of its neighborly environment where 50 majors and degree programs are offered, with courses taught by a supportive and exceptional faculty. Approximately 80% of the students are enrolled in at least one online course. The typical student is a working adult who commutes. Recently, the University was featured in the 2015 Best Value Online College Rankings by OnlineU.org for four online programs including computer science, accounting, education and human resources. The University offers undergraduate degree programs in Liberal Arts, Teacher Preparation, and Business. The University employs more than 350 full and part-time employees with approximately 90 full-time faculty members in three colleges: College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, and College of Education. Seventy-five percent of the full-time faculty members hold a terminal degree. The University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
Athens, Alabama is located in north Alabama equidistant between Nashville, TN and Birmingham, AL. Athens is home to several events and festivals that have been featured as the Southeast Tourism Society’s “Top 20 Events in the Southeast” including the Athens Storytelling Festival and the Tennessee Valley Old Time Fiddlers Convention.
In accordance with Athens State University Policy and guidelines, the applicant chosen for employment will be required to sign a consent form for a criminal background check. Employment will be contingent upon the receipt of a clearance notification from that criminal background check.
Non-Discrimination Policy Statement Athens State University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. Athens State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, disability, religion, genetic information, or veteran status in employment, or admissions to or participation in educational programs and activities. Inquiries or concerns may be addressed to the Office of the Vice President of Enrollment and Student Support Services, 300 N. Beaty St., Athens, AL 35611, 256- 233-8175.