Accounting Instructor - Tenure Track
SALARY: See Position DescriptionOPENING DATE: 04/26/21 CLOSING DATE: 05/24/21 04:00 PM
DESCRIPTION:Spokane Falls Community College is seeking qualified candidates for consideration of employment as an Accounting Instructor for this full-time, tenure track position in the Business department. We seek applicants with a high degree of professionalism, a strong commitment to our students, diversity and global awareness, and the ability to motivate and educate in an engaging manner. The college strives for faculty who are content experts and who are knowledgeable about best practices, innovative strategies, and instructional technologies that support teaching and learning.
SFCC is a beautiful campus located in the inland Pacific Northwest, on the ancestral home of the Spokane Tribe, near the Spokane River. Our campus is not far from the urban center of Spokane, a mid-sized city with a high quality of life and quick access to the outdoors. More information about living and working in Spokane available at:
SFCC is one of two accredited community colleges that comprise the Community Colleges of Spokane (CCS). In addition to serving the urban and suburban population in greater Spokane, including students from Fairchild Airforce Base, CCS provides educational services to rural communities throughout our 12,302 square-mile region in Eastern Washington, including students from the Spokane and other Eastern Washington tribes.
Serving about 8,200 students, SFCC endeavors to be an educational leader and a responsive partner with the community and region to provide access to relevant programs of the highest quality. We offer a large liberal arts/transfer program (approximately 75% of total enrollment) as well as state-of-the-art professional technical programs (about 25%). As reflected in our mission statement, we strive to “embrace diversity, promote equity, and foster global awareness” at every level of our college.
The Business department is a small, diverse department with a strong regional reputation for excellence.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare for and instruct, through traditional classroom and
distance education modes, transfer-level classes in the discipline
of Accounting and Management Information Systems.
- Financial Accounting 1
- Financial Accounting II
- Managerial Accounting
- Management Information Technology in Business
- Be available and accessible to students for purpose of academic consulting and support, in a manner appropriate to meet student needs, through a combination of scheduled office hours, e-mail accessibility or other effective means of responsive and timely communication.
- Work strategically with diverse colleagues, students, and community members.
- Be committed to advancing diversity, promoting equity, and preparing students to live responsibly in an increasingly global civilization.
- Be committed to serving, advising, and mentoring a socially and culturally diverse student population.
- Communicate expectations and establish clear grading criteria through appropriate instructional means, including but not limited to developing course syllabi, handouts, and materials supporting the instructional process, evaluating student progress and providing clear, timely feedback.
- Participate in district, division, department, or general faculty meetings; in-service training; curriculum development; academic consulting; workshops or seminars; service on district or college councils or committees, or other activities within the scope of the position.
- Comply with state and federal law applicable to professional duties and responsibilities; follows established procedures in areas such as printing, turning in grades, bookstore orders, office support, student financial aid requirements, safety and health issues and related administrative processes.
- Support and advance the CCS strategic plan, and perform other duties as assigned.
- In addition, faculty may:
- Instruct CTE such as QuickBooks, bookkeeping and/or courses in related disciplines based upon individual qualifications and expertise.
- Supervise paraprofessional employees or direct the work of assigned work-study students. Responsible for ensuring assigned staff adhere to acceptable behavior and performance standards. Demonstrate that assigned staff have been informed how behavior and performance will be assessed, receive timely and accurate feedback regarding performance, and any observed performance and behavioral problems are corrected promptly.
- Work evenings, alternative schedules, summer or at alternative work locations consistent with the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.
- Advise student clubs or associations.
COMPETENCIES & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (Minimum Qualifications)
- An earned Master’s degree from an accredited institution in Accounting or Business OR an earned Master’s degree from an accredited institution in a related field (other than Accounting or Business) AND an active Certified Public Accountant license held in the last two years.
- One year of accounting instruction in a higher education or equivalent post-secondary setting.
- One or more years of work experience in accounting or business.
- Ability to demonstrate instruction excellence and proficiency with technology during the teaching demo.
- Acceptance of the responsibility to promote the welfare and best interests of students at all times.
- Acceptance of and willingness to support the role that community colleges serve in higher education, and specifically the mission, values, goals and objectives of the Community Colleges of Spokane.
- Ability to perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with applicable laws, regulations and goals of the institution and the community/technical college system.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering and supporting a teaching, learning and working environment that honors diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Two or more years of full-time equivalent experience teaching Accounting in higher education.
- Two or more years full-time equivalent work experience in Accounting or business.
- Evidence of instructional excellence in both onsite and online courses. Acceptable forms of documentation may include student evaluations, peer evaluations, and/or recent supervisory evaluations.
- Demonstrated success working with diverse (racially, ethnically, socioeconomically) and underserved student and stakeholder communities.
CONDITIONS/TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
This is a full-time, tenure track position with an entry level base salary (for a 175-day academic year contract) of $60,647 - $64,587 / year. Future advancement in base salary, up to the current maximum of $83,494, is based upon a combination of years of service accrued at our college and professional development activity.
Faculty have potential to earn up to $121,561 (average annual salary paid to our 20 highest earning faculty during FY2018/19). FY 2018/19 average annual faculty salary (all faculty) was $76,425. Annual salary is comprised of base salary plus any combination of academic year overload contracts, summer effort contracts, project stipends, student club advising stipends, and/or department chair /program lead faculty stipends consistent with the provisions of the current collective bargaining agreement between CCS and the Association for Higher Education (AHE).
TOTAL COMPENSATION: $77,055- $81,347.
Total compensation is an estimate based upon adding the following amounts together:
CCS reserves the right to cancel this recruitment without notice. Union membership is no longer a condition of employment although this position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement. Anticipated date of employment is Fall 2021.
CONDITIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT
Person hired must be able to provide acceptable documentation of U.S. Citizenship or lawful authorization to work in the United States. This is an absolute condition of employment. An offer of employment will not carry with it any responsibility or obligation on the part of the District to sponsor an H1-B visa. In addition, the Community Colleges of Spokane maintains a drug-free work environment and prohibits all smoking in the college buildings and state-owned vehicles. Must be able to successfully work in and promote a multicultural work and education environment. Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the position. Once an applicant is chosen for an interview, they are required to complete and submit a declaration regarding sexual misconduct and investigation per state law.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:APPLICATION CLOSING DATE
Applications will be accepted until 4:00 p.m. PST on May 24, 2021. The application process will not be available after this time. To ensure consideration make sure your application is completed and submitted as soon as possible. Applications will only be accepted prior to 4:00 p.m. on the closing date.
To qualify for consideration, applicants must meet required competencies and submit a complete application packet, which includes the following:
- CCS online application.
- Cover letter addressing your qualifications as applied to the responsibilities of this position. *
- CV/Comprehensive resume. *
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references.*
- Evaluation documentation - Student, Peer, or current Supervisory. *
- List of Classes taught - include class title and frequency.*
- College transcript(s) * - unofficial/copies of transcripts are acceptable for initial application, official copies must be submitted upon acceptance of job offer.
Community Colleges of Spokane does not discriminate in its programs, activities and employment on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, marital status, pregnancy, parental status or families with children, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, AIDS/HIV or hepatitis C, honorably discharged veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, use of trained guide dog or service animal by a person with disability, genetic information or any other legally protected category. Please direct all inquiries regarding compliance with access, equal opportunity and/or grievances to the Chief Administration Officer, Community Colleges of Spokane, 501 N. Riverpoint Blvd., PO Box 6000, MS 1004, Spokane WA 99217-6000 or call 509-434-5037; WA Telecommunication Relay Services (TRS) 1-800-833-6384 or 7-1-1.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Spokane
- Business & Management Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Spokane
- Accounting & Finance Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Spokane
- Business Administration Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Spokane