Custodians - Temps
Responsible for maintaining the overall cleanliness of the university. Provide and maintain a high level of customer service and satisfaction among the campus community. Maintain proper uniform standards and appearance. Maintain professional conduct and adherence to the Adelphi University confidentiality agreement at all times as well as comply with all policies included in the Adelphi Employee Handbook. Ability to be an ambassador of the Facilities Department as well as for Adelphi University.
The Facilities Management Department is dedicated to the University's focus of becoming a modern, metropolitan university. This objective is accomplished by supplying well-maintained, sustainable, and aesthetically pleasing facilities and grounds. Our goal is to provide support and meet the needs of students, faculty, staff, alumni and patrons of the University. The exceptional delivery of facilities services in a timely manner, while providing outstanding customer service, has served to ensure that our mission is achieved. We strive to support Adelphi's Momentum Strategic Plan to create a world-class academic experience where our students will thrive.
REPORTS TO: Supervisor of Director of Housekeeping
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Sweeps, mops, waxes floors, vacuums and cleans carpet on a routine basis.
- Dusts and/or polishes furniture, window ledges, walls, etc.
- Maintains, cleans and sanitizes restrooms and drinking fountains on a routine basis.
- Empties trash and recycle receptacles; cleans containers as needed; removes garbage from inside the buildings and deposits in appropriate outside dumpster.
- Replaces soap and paper products in dispensers.
- Carries equipment, tables, chairs and other objects weighing up to 50 pounds or more than 50 pounds with assistance.
- Clean all exterior entrances of all campus buildings.
- Snow removal.
REQUIREMENTS: (Knowledge, skills and abilities)
- Knowledge of basic custodial procedures and ability to complete assigned tasks within work time.
- Knowledge of and the ability to operate janitorial equipment such as buffers, carpet cleaners, extractors, floor scrubbers, etc.
- Knowledge of and ability to use common hand tools such as hammers, screwdrivers, pliers etc.
- Ability to perform a variety of routine, repetitive cleaning tasks and semiskilled tasks.
- Must have sufficient physical strength and ability to independently and repeatedly lift, move, and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds; repeatedly lift, move and carry objects weighing more than 50 pounds with assistance.
- Must be able to distinguish between cleaning materials.
- Some knowledge and/or ability to learn about occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Ability to communicate effectively, understand and carry out all verbal and written instructions.
- Pushing/Pulling is required constantly moving equipment and furniture, mopping, sweeping, vacuuming and buffing floors.
- Lifting/Carrying is required frequently during the day moving equipment and furniture for cleaning purposes.
- Standing/Walking can be required constantly throughout the day depending on the job duties assigned.
- Sitting required occasionally.
- Reaching required sweeping, dusting, buffing, and mopping.
- Three to five years prior cleaning experience required.
- Multiple shifts and days - weekend and night shifts may be required.
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research university dedicated to transforming students' lives through small classes with world-class faculty, hands-on learning and innovative ways to support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with particular strength in our Core Four—Arts and Humanities, STEM and Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health and Wellness. Recognized as a Best College by U.S. News & World Report, Adelphi is Long Island's oldest private coeducational university, serving almost 8,000 students at its beautiful main campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers more than 60 undergraduate programs, more than 65 master's degree and doctoral programs, and more than 35 certificate programs in the liberal arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 116,000 graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from 43 states and 64 countries, and rising rankings from top publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
To apply, visit https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=ADELPHI&cws=39&rid=2526