Chairperson, Dept of Advanced Studies, Leadership & Policy
Chairperson, Dept of
Advanced Studies, Leadership & Policy
School of Education and Urban Studies
Institution: Morgan State University
Location: Baltimore, MD
Position: Faculty, with appointment as Dept. Chair, Advanced Studies, Leadership and Policy
Type: Full Time
Level: Associate or Full Professor Application
Due: Open Until Filled Position
Availability: Fall 2021
Morgan State University is a historically Black institution with the distinct designation, conferred by the state, as Maryland’s Pre-eminent Urban Research University. In 2019, the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education moved Morgan State University from a moderate research classification of R3 (a ranking held since 2006), to an elevated classification of R2. The university is currently engaged in the vigorous enhancement of its research infrastructure, and the growth of its portfolio of grants and contracts, with the goal of attaining R1 status. The university offers a comprehensive array of baccalaureate and post baccalaureate degrees, and its faculty include over 500 members who are actively engaged in research, teaching, and service to the university and the wider community. In 2018, the university was re-accredited by the Middle States Higher Education Commission.
The Department of Advanced Studies, Leadership and Policy is an exclusively graduate department historically producing the largest number of doctoral graduates of any department in the university. Talented faculty serve a vibrant community of scholars drawn from five specialist areas: Higher Education Administration, Mathematics Education, Science Education, Community College Leadership, and Urban Education Leadership. The department includes 17 full-time and several part-time and adjunct faculty.
The School of Education and Urban Studies at Morgan State University, invites applications for the position of Associate or full Professor with administrative assignment as Chair of the Department of Advanced Studies Leadership and Policy. This is a 12- month appointment. The desired candidate is an experienced, visionary faculty leader who is fully committed to academic excellence and innovative program design and delivery. The position is a balance between administrative and academic assignments, with a teaching assignment of one or two doctoral courses per year.
The Chair serves as the chief academic administrator of the Department and provides leadership in all matters of policy, as determined by the Dean and the Senior Vice President and Provost. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Facilitate the operation of the Department through administrative, fiscal, and assessment tasks expected of department
- Assume responsibility for setting and meeting enrollment projections, recruiting, admitting, and advising students.
- Work with faculty, administrators, and staff to support a research and scholarly agenda consistent with Morgan’s trajectory toward Carnegie classification as an R1
- Maintain effective engagement of faculty with open communication, continuous improvement efforts, and the pursuit of the School’s strategic
- Carry out responsibilities associated with annual faculty evaluation, tenure, and
- Serve on SEUS Leadership Team with Dean-appointed
- Represent departmental interests at the College and University
- Maintain involvement with state and national associations and accreditors to ensure programs that are relevant and
- Maintain an active and relevant research agenda consistent with expectations of an associate or full professor.
- Teach one to two doctoral courses each year and advise graduate
- Implement and lead in the design of professional development activities for
- Lead faculty in continual curriculum and program renewal and in new program development in response to changing educational contexts.
- An earned PhD or Ed.D in Higher Education, Educational Studies, Educational Administration, Educational Leadership, Educational Policy or a field of study that is closely related to one of the programs in the
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusion and social justice
- Prior University academic administrative experience expected to include budget and personnel management.
- Evidence of strong leadership skills and experience consistent with the expectations of a department chair (experience as college/department chair preferred).
- Experience leading, managing, and/or directing graduate
- Evidence of successful graduate level teaching, and service consistent with the rank of associate or full professor, with preference given for prior dissertation committee experience
- Evidence of advanced research competence in the field of
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with students and colleagues from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues at the departmental, college, university, public school, and agency levels.
- Evidence of success and/or potential for success in securing external
- Evidence of demonstrated ability to contribute to the mission of the School of Education and Urban Studies and the
Prepare a complete application package to include the following:
- A signed letter of application that includes statements of the candidate’s interest in the position, qualifications, and administrative Specifically address the required and preferred qualifications for the position.
- Current curriculum vita
- Statement of your experiences working with and supporting diverse populations and your commitment to social justice and
- Names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for at least five professional references
- Transcript copies for all graduate degrees (Unofficial transcripts are acceptable for consideration. If chosen as a finalist, original transcript(s) of highest degree earned will be required).
- Additional materials may be requested during the review process that document the candidate’s success in the areas of administrative or leadership experience, teaching, and/or
Forward your complete application package to Dr. Glenda Prime, as follows:
Dr. Glenda Prime, Dean
School of Education and Urban Studies, Banneker Building, Ste 301
Morgan State University 1700 E. Cold Spring Lane Baltimore, MD 21251 Glenda.firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Availability: Fall 2021
Application Review: Application review begins immediately and may continue until the position is filled.
Apply for Chairperson, Dept of Advanced Studies, Leadership & Policy
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly