Associate Department Head
Library Faculty Position, Clarkston Campus
The Georgia State University Library seeks an innovative, collegial and forward-thinking colleague to join us as an Associate Department Head at the Clarkston Campus.
The Associate Department Head manages the Clarkson library facility as part of the leadership team for Perimeter Library Services. The Associate Department Head supervises the campus library faculty and staff, and works with campus partners across academic and administrative departments to contribute to student learning, retention, and success.
• Provides leadership and vision for the campus library and, in collaboration with other library units, oversees all campus library activities including instruction, reference, collections, circulation, programming and outreach.
• Collaboratively develops strategic goals for the campus library in alignment with the mission, vision, and goals of the University Library. Participates in development of University Library policies and procedures.
• Manages the library’s physical space, working with Library Administration to furnish and renovate spaces as appropriate.
• Manages the campus library’s employees, which includes selection, evaluation, and coaching of faculty and staff.
• Actively participates in the library instruction program using appropriate pedagogy, assessment and information literacy objectives.
• Participates in research, professional development, and service activities as outlined in the University Library’s faculty guidelines.
This position is based on GSU's Clarkston campus. Perimeter College (https://perimeter.gsu.edu) became a part of Georgia State University in January 2016, as part of a consolidation that formed the largest university in Georgia. For additional information about the six libraries that make up Georgia State University Library, visit http://library.gsu.edu.
Clarkston Campus is located in what’s referred to as “the most diverse square mile in America.” Although the city of Clarkston is small in size, it is home to an extensive mix of residents representing 40 nationalities and 60 languages. More than one-third are international refugees. This same diversity is reflected in the Perimeter College student population, which is one of the most multicultural campuses in the University System of Georgia.
Georgia State University, consistently ranked among the top 3 Most Innovative Universities by U.S. News & World Report, has one of the fastest growing research profiles in the country and a proven commitment to the success of students from all backgrounds. Georgia State readies students for professional pursuits, educates future leaders, and prepares citizens for lifelong learning. Enrolling one of the most diverse student bodies in the nation at its downtown research campus, at its vibrant branch campuses, and online, the university provides educational opportunities for more than 54,000 students at the graduate, baccalaureate, associate and certificate levels. For additional information about Georgia State University, visit gsu.edu.
• ALA-accredited master’s degree in information/library science.
• Minimum of two years of progressively responsible leadership and/or management experience.
• Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a diverse group of library users and colleagues.
• Strong commitment to public services and user-centered reference and instructional services.
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
• Knowledge of current trends and emerging technologies in libraries.
• Ability to travel within and between campuses.
• Successful experience supervising faculty and staff.
• Experience providing service to first- and second year students.
• Demonstrated record of outreach and programming.
• Record of professional service and scholarly accomplishments.
Condition of Work and Benefits
Faculty rank and status
Health and retirement benefits
Support for research and professional activities
Salary and Rank
Salary range from $56,000 to $66,000, commensurate with the candidate’s education and experience. Appointment at faculty rank (Instructor/Assistant/Associate Professor) on a 12-month contract renewal basis.
Please submit: (1) a statement of interest addressing the above qualifications; (2) curriculum vitae; and (3) contact information for three current references (in a pdf document) c/o the Library’s Human Resources Officer, email@example.com, (404) 413-2712.
Review of materials will begin immediately, with complete
applications received by May 31, 2021 receiving full consideration.
Any offer of employment at Georgia State University is contingent
upon successful completion of a criminal background
Georgia State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Apply for Associate Department Head
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly