Director, Data Governance
Washington University in St. Louis invites applications and nominations for the University-wide position of Director, Data Governance. The Director will lead the development of the University’s data-governance framework and implementation plan serving as a strategic and tactical leader over data governance efforts across all key data domains at Washington University. This position will develop policies and practices around the use of data in institutional analysis, decision-making, and reporting. The Director will work collaboratively to create standards, best practices, and tools to maximize the use of institutional data and foster a culture of continuous data quality improvement.
Reporting to the Associate Provost, the Director will work across both the Danforth and Medical Center campuses to collaborate with data stewards, data owners, stakeholders as well as operational and IT units to develop, disseminate, and achieve adherence to policies and processes that will effectively share, protect, and facilitate the use of data as assets in planning, decision-making, and in executing mission activities.
The Director is also responsible for the development, implementation, management, and continuous iteration of a University data strategy that reflects the needs of the schools, faculty, administrative officers, and University leadership. The Director will work closely with the Executive Director, Data Management and other colleagues in IT on the data warehouse project. This position will lead efforts in planning to implement the strategy and continuously improve the data maturity while ensuring adoption of data governance as a foundational discipline across the university.
Qualified candidates will possess a Bachelor’s degree, plus 10 years of relevant experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Relevant experience includes: participating meaningfully in organizational analytics in an environment similar to a complex research university’s; prior experience or training in data governance or data management; experience with change management; providing direction and leadership to organizational teams. We are actively seeking a diverse pool of candidates, thus women and minorities are encouraged to apply candidates to apply.
• Interpersonal versatility, comprehensive vision, organizational skills, and communication ability to sustain trust across a complex, multi-constituent environment
• Aptitude to lead and facilitate strategic disruption, and to align interests for the sake of greater common goals
• Proven experience designing and implementing data governance in a complex (decentralized) organization
• Prior experience serving directly in a large higher education academic school or college or academic medical center
• Experience designing and implementing data governance within an organizational reporting strategy that provided decision making input and analysis to senior leadership
• Prior experience in a matrix management structure in which you rely on other leaders for delivery of portions of your work
• Basic familiarity with the principles of project management
• Extensive experience using project management and various systems development
• Prior experience in developing, designing, or delivering reporting or analytics for leadership.
• Expertise in delivery technologies and data access and a working knowledge of analysis and reporting tools that can address the needs of an academic enterprise
• Ability to partner with WashU IT staff and generally to work in a team environment
• Ability to serve as a liaison and translator between subject-matter experts from the schools and technical experts in IT Services including vendors and implementation partners
About Washington University in St. Louis
Founded in 1853, Washington University is nationally and internationally renowned for teaching, learning, research, service to society, and patient care. The University is comprised of seven different schools: Arts and Sciences, Art and Architecture, Business, Engineering and Applied Sciences, Law, Medicine, and Social Work. The university’s mission is to discover and disseminate knowledge, and protect the freedom of inquiry through research, teaching, and learning. Washington University creates an environment to encourage and support an ethos of wide-ranging exploration. Our faculty and staff strive to enhance the lives and livelihoods of students, the people of the greater St. Louis community, the country, and the world. Today, the University has a total enrollment of over 15,900 students, 4,000 faculty, $790 million in sponsored research, and 15,500 employees.
Candidates may apply to our career site at: https://jobs.wustl.edu Job ID #
Confidential inquiries may be directed to: email@example.com.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Apply for Director, Data Governance
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly