Director, Academic Advisor
Vacancy Number: S-00716 Position Title: Director, Academic Advisor Classification Title: Director Department: Central Advising Employment Type: Full-Time Duties and Responsibilities:
The Director will be responsible for closely collaborating with faculty academic advisors and professional advising staff to provide vision and leadership to the university advising community, which includes all aspects of student-centered undergraduate advising from first-time enrollment to degree attainment. The Director develops and maintains departmental budgets, supervises all members of the Central Advising Office, and assesses and maintains efficient and effective operating procedures, including ensuring appropriate use of technology, ongoing staff training, and the delivery of optimal services to all students. The Director of Academic Advising reports to the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Studies.
The Director of Advising will:
• Supervise individuals in Central Advising office
Host weekly Staff Meetings
Require End of Semester Reports
Provide ongoing cross-training for relevant soft skills that contribute to student success
• Develop and maintain strategic plans for Central Advising Office
Utilize End of Semester reports to make changes to structure or caseloads as needed
Work closely with Department Heads in College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences and College of Science relative to relationships between Central Advising Departmental Representatives and Departments (including implementing University initiatives, Faculty advisor training, thinking through ripple effects of any curriculum changes, etc.)
• Monitor and communicate timelines relative to advising and registration for the University
Coordinate with Communication and Marketing for advising and registration campaigns
Ensure advisors are utilizing appropriate communication strategies during “advising season”
Monitor core class enrollment and availability during orientation season
• Organize monthly meetings of Academic Advisor Forum
Responsible for disseminating all pertinent information updates for advisors and ad hoc members
Facilitate professional development of advisors through AAF monthly meetings
Communicate relevant information gathered at AAF back up the chain as needed
• Ensure advisors are utilizing University-wide software such as Banner, Webster, AdvisorTrac, Degree Works, Advise, SharePoint, etc.
Assist with troubleshooting and cross-training as needed
• Coordinate with advisors across campus in the implementation of Call Campaigns associated with mid-term reports, registration outreach, and orientation outreach.
•Serve on University committees: ad hoc member of Core Curriculum Committee and Curriculum Committee, member of Retention Committee
Full supervisory responsibility for other employees is a major responsibility and includes training, evaluating, and making or recommending pay, promotion or other employment decisions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Skill in exceptional organizational and time management with demonstrated ability to plan, coordinate, prioritize, and effectively execute multiple initiatives, programs, and events, and meet established deadlines.
• Skill in strong interpersonal communication; demonstrated ability to establish and develop productive and collegial relationships, collaboration, and communication with on campus constituencies (e.g., staff, faculty, students, managers, etc.) and building effective teams as needed.
• Skill and technical proficiency in electronic document management systems, student information systems, i.e. Banner and MS Office Suite.
• Skill in leadership qualities including motivation, supervision, delegation, planning and assessment; ability to train, mentor and effectively communicate with staff, faculty and students at all levels.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both in writing and verbally; demonstrated effective public speaking skills
• Ability to develop and implement a comprehensive assessment plan for University Advising to include analysis and interpretation of student retention and graduation data
• Ability to collect, compile, analyze and evaluate information and make verbal or written presentations based on this information
• Ability to apply student development and enrollment management theories, and current technological tools to contemporary advising practices.
• Demonstrated ability to set and implement policy; to review and act upon the most difficult individual and organizational problems and to administer programs.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and/or adopt and implement professional development on the role of faculty academic advising.
• Ability to analyze problem situations, identify feasible solutions, and present recommendations in a concise, logical and systematic manner-anticipating issues and the consequences of the decisions and actions
• Ability to work with confidential and sensitive information and records
Four-year college Degree in Education, Business, Psychology, Counseling, or related field and 7-10 years experience in academic advising or counseling.
Job Open Date: 04/29/2021 This posting will remain open until closed: Yes Job Close Date: Salary Band: 108 Special Instructions to Applicants:
Auburn University at Montgomery is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity; therefore, we encourage applications from historically underrepresented groups, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Additionally, the safety and security of our campus community is a top priority. All employees at AUM are considered to be Responsible Employees and have the duty to immediately report information that has the potential to adversely impact safety or wellness on our campus.
About the University/College
Auburn University at Montgomery has been ranked among the South’s top universities by U.S. News and World Report, was named one of the best colleges in the Southeast by The Princeton Review, is designated as a Military Friendly School, and is consistently chosen as the best university in the area. Auburn Montgomery provides students with detailed knowledge and hands-on, practical experience, often from professionals in the field.
Quick Link https://www.jobs.aum.edu/postings/4699 Position Profile Link Applicant Documents
- Cover Letter
- Professional Reference Sheet
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Provide an example of how you have worked with other units on
campus (registrar’s office, admissions office, or student support
(Open Ended Question)
- What are examples of communication strategies you have used
when students have not followed recommendations regarding
(Open Ended Question)
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Montgomery
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Montgomery
- Academic Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Montgomery
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Montgomery
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Montgomery