IT DevOps Engineer
We are encouraging applications for an IT DevOps Engineer to provide (and continuously improve) operational support procedures for existing Lab infrastructure and resources. Assist in day-to-day operational support for Linux system infrastructure. This includes building, deploying, and configuring new hardware/virtual machines and operating system images, as well as assisting with building and supporting the automation and configuration management tools to do such work. Responsible for performing a variety of tasks requiring highly competent and current technical problem-solving skills, a solid understanding of the network operating systems, and a strong understanding of LAN/WAN networking. Works with minimal supervision on projects of moderate to high complexity. Actively mentor, lead and assist in the utilization of student employees and more junior administrators. Collaborates with IT leadership and internal IT customers to define future requirements and roadmap.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
LASP began in 1948 (a decade before NASA) and combines all aspects of space exploration through our expertise in science, engineering, mission operations, and scientific data analysis. We are the world’s only academic research institute to have sent instruments to all eight planets and Pluto.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Tackle and lead new projects and initiatives as required by the business and leadership to keep initiatives on track to agreed achievements and scope.
- Configure, consult and test Linux-based software packages and operating systems.
- Utilize configuration management, version control, testing frameworks, and integration/deployment methodologies to transcribe desired infrastructure and application states to infrastructure as code.
- Works with team members and leadership to ensure designs and implementations conform to agreed requirements and standards.
- Help to define and implement best practices to insure ongoing supportability of system infrastructure.
- Automate operational processes as needed to ensure consistency and accuracy.
- Develop plans, schedules, and requirements for the deployment of systems.
- Deploy and maintain systems for inventory, provisioning, and patch management of the environment. Assist in administration and support as necessary.
- Determine and schedule OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis. Ensure execution and correct operation. Devise administrative tools and utilities. Configure/add new services as necessary.
- Configure, administer, and support shared storage (NAS, NFS, CIFS) systems.
- Manage, research, and resolve sophisticated end-user escalation incidents.
- Interact and be the last stop for issues and questions from our University and Laboratory personnel to coordinate system events with end-users.
- Work as part of a senior team to solve Tier 2 items and be a conduit for issues between Tier1 and Tier2 teams.
- Review and solve issues involving system performance, configuration, restoration, applications, and software tools.
- Actively participate in defining and documenting critical IT processes and standard procedures.
- Stay informed on new technologies and methodologies to ensure infrastructure and processes are appropriately up-to-date.
- Responsibilities may sometimes require working evenings and weekends.
What You Should Know
- Due to export control restrictions only US persons (US citizens, US lawful permanent residents), or asylees/refugees under specific Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA) amnesty provisions may apply.
- Ability to occasionally lift 30 lbs.
What We Can Offer
Salary Range is $119,000 to $143,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Game-Changing. Be Resourceful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and at least 8 years system administration experience or a Master’s degree and at least 5 years of system administration or dev ops experience.
- Experience with bare metal systems/servers building and preparation.
- Strong experience in a VMware environment (ESXi and VCenter).
- Extensive experience with core services such as DNS, DHCP, NTP, and LDAP.
- Strong work experience in support and maintenance of both hardware and virtual environments supporting Linux operating systems preferably SUSE, RedHat or Ubuntu.
- Good familiarity with Linux Infrastructure and programs auto-provisioning technology.
- Experience with configuration management technologies such as Ansible, SALT, or Puppet.
- Experience with, and willingness to champion DevOps practices including Continuous testing, integration, delivery, and deployment.
- Experience with interfacing configuration management technologies with virtual machine orchestration services.
- Experience with scripting, eg. PERL, shell scripting, and Python, and other dynamic scripting languages is a plus.
- Stellar troubleshooting skills with the ability to spot issues before they become problems.
What You Will Need
- Maintain a mentality of continuous improvement, in terms of efficiency of support processes, internal customer satisfaction, and the application of tools for monitoring, management, and optimization.
- Knowledge and experience with computer datacenter logistics and operations.
- Ability to learn quickly and take on new tasks.
- Exceptional communication skills via in-person, phone and email.
- Resourcefulness to multi-task current projects and flexibility in assignments.
- Excellent time management, organizational, and team skills.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Installation and maintenance experience with a variety of 3rd party software.
- Experience with migrating physical servers to virtual.
- Experience in software engineering, network engineering, or database implementation a plus.
- Experience with open-source technologies and cloud services including public cloud such as AWS or Azure or private cloud services such as OpenStack or CloudStack.
- Strong knowledge of computer hardware, software, and IT systems.
- Familiarity with systems and service API development and integration.
- Experience with provisioning systems for automated machine builds and deployments.
- Knowledge and experience with containerization and container orchestration services such as Docker or Kubernetes.
- Strong documentation skills including Visio.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Engineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder