University Program Specialist
Office of Innovation and Commercialization - 31120
Primary Purpose of Organizational Unit
The Office of Innovation and Commercialization ( OIC ) is UNCW’s commercialization and technology transfer office. The OIC serves as an integrated resource for the UNCW Research community (faculty/staff/students). The office is responsible for identifying, supporting, and enhancing the commercialization of technologies and solutions from the UNCW Community. UNCW encourages and supports technology transfer to (1) stimulate economic growth and development, (2) increase the impact of the university’s research and development activities, (3) grow and develop industrial relations, and (4) support high-quality learning opportunities for students.
The OIC serves several key functions:
• Identifying UNCW intellectual property, and helping to educate the faculty, staff, and students about technology transfer opportunities and process.
• Protect, promote, and manage UNCW intellectual property, including copyright, patents, and licensing/equity decisions at UNCW .
• Collaborates with the Sponsored Programs and Research Compliance office and Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship to assist with proposals for extramural funding that have a business component.
• Assists with screening agreements, collaborative/teaming agreements, material transfer agreements, and non-disclosure agreements.
• Collaborates with the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship to help find the appropriate business solutions for UNCW generated intellectual property, conducts market assessment studies, providing referrals for incubator space, and providing various types of support including early stage financing.
• Develops relationships with industry and collaborates with regional and state economic development agencies.
• Assists with sales, marketing, and out-licensing of commercially-ready innovations (patentable or non-patentable).
The OIC is a part of the UNCW Research and Innovation Services Team, and works closely with other support units including the Sponsored Programs and Research Compliance office, Research Integrity Office, the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, and Marine Biotechnology in North Carolina ( MARBIONC ).
Research Services - 31100
The University of North Carolina Wilmington, the state’s coastal university, is dedicated to the integration of teaching, mentoring, research and service. Widely acknowledged for its world-class faculty and staff and continuously recognized at a national level for scholarly excellence and affordability, UNCW offers a powerful academic experience that stimulates creative inquiry and critical thinking and a community rich in diversity, inclusion and global perspectives.
A public institution with nearly 18,000 students, UNCW offers a full range of baccalaureate- and graduate-level programs, as well as doctoral degrees in educational leadership, marine biology, nursing practice and psychology; and many distance learning options, including clinical research, an accelerated RN-to- BSN program, an Executive M.B.A. program structured for working professionals, and the nation’s only bachelor’s degree program focused on coastal engineering.
The university’s efforts to advance research and scholarly activities have earned UNCW the elevated designation of “Doctoral Universities: High Research Activity” institution (R2 University) by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
UNCW has been part of the University of North Carolina System since 1969.
Location of Workplace
Main UNCW Campus
Brief Summary of Work for this Position
Reporting to the Director for the Office of Innovation and Commercialization, the Commercialization Coordinator position will assist with many of the core functions of the unit involving disclosures, licensing, patents, and agreements. The Commercialization Coordinator will handle administrative tasks of tracking and reporting, identifying potential new innovations, and coordinating workflows.
The Commercialization Coordinator will develop and implement a marketing plan including business development, sales, and lead generation efforts prospecting potential licensees and partners.
The Commercialization Coordinator will develop and facilitate a training program and other educational activities for UNCW faculty, staff, and students that provide guidance for early stage, pre-commercialization entrepreneurial ventures.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Graduation from a four-year college or university and one year of experience related to the area of assignment; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
Preferred education, professional skills and experience
Experience in licensing and commercialization processes
Experience in sales and marketing
Experience in a university setting
Required Certifications or licensure
1.0 (40 hours per week)
Months Per Year
Monday - Friday
8:00AM - 5:00PM
Type of Position
Anticipated Ending Date if Time-Limited
Job Posting Date
Posting Close Date
Special Notes to Applicants
PLEASE NOTE : This posting will close at 11:59PM on the posted closing date. To receive full consideration, please be sure you have fully completed the entire application before you apply for this position. Failure to answer all required questions will cause the system to disqualify your application.
For more info/to apply visit http://jobs.uncw.edu. Applications must be submitted through the online application system to be considered.
You will be required to attach a cover letter and resume to successfully apply for this position. To receive full consideration, please be sure you have completed the ‘Work History’ section of the application before you apply for this position.
This position is being recruited at the Journey level. If no applicants apply who meet the required competency and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
At the University of North Carolina at Wilmington ( UNCW ), our culture reflects our values of inclusion, diversity, globalization, ethics and integrity and innovation and we are committed to providing equality of educational and employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, sex (such as gender, gender identity, marital status, childbirth, and pregnancy), age, color, national origin (including ethnicity), religion, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, veteran status, military service member status, genetic information, or relationship to other university constituents – except where sex, age, or ability represent bona fide educational or occupational qualifications or where marital status is a statutorily established eligibility criterion for State funded employee benefit programs. UNCW believes that embracing the unique contributions of our faculty, staff and students is critical to our success and paramount in being recognized for our global mindset.
Eligibility for Employment
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. UNC Wilmington participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
External Link to Posting
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity with UNC Wilmington
- UNCW Website
- UNCW Facebook Page
- UNCW Linkedin Page
- UNCW Twitter Account
- UNCW Employee Referral
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Inside Higher Ed
- North Carolina Job Network
- Women In Higher Education
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Curriculum & Instructional Development Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington