The Huck Institutes of the Life Sciences at the Pennsylvania State University seeks a Managing Director (Chief of Staff) who will contribute to strategic planning, and creatively and tactically oversee plan implementation. Huck's core mission is to catalyze interdisciplinary research excellence across Penn State to seek transformative solutions to critical societal challenges and to generate new understandings of ourselves and our world. There are about 50 staff and research faculty within the Huck Institutes, led by a strong group of Heads of Huck Departments that directly or indirectly report to the Managing Director. By empowering these heads, the Managing Director will coordinate, oversee, and direct the overall operations of multiple administrative areas including Finance, Facilities, Graduate Programs, Communications, and IT. Working closely with the Huck Director, and as part of the Huck Leadership Executive team, the Managing Director will analyze data and provide metrics to inform strategic decisions and provide tactical leadership on Huck operations.
The Managing Director will have the following responsibilities:
- Serve as Budget Administrator, leading and coordinating budget development; providing financial analysis for strategic planning; coordinating and implementing income and expenditure to ensure strategic objectives are being achieved cost effectively; and providing administrative and financial oversight of Huck user facilities.
- Research, develop and implement special projects and appropriate strategic initiatives.
- Working closely with the OSVPR HR office, identify and evaluate staffing needs and employee issues, and where possible, resolve them; oversee hiring, training, and supervising throughout Huck; and evaluate assigned staff.
- Maintain awareness and ensure compliance with applicable University, government and regulatory requirements; serve as unit representative for ongoing initiatives and committees; and serve as liaison with other campus units and University offices and officials.
- Provide a high level of customer service, and a general level of technical expertise to internal and external customers; identify areas for improvement, make recommendations and implement solutions; and seek guidance as necessary.
This position will be filled at a Level 3. Typical requirements for a Level 3 are a Bachelor's degree or higher plus at least seven years of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. SAP-Concur experience and/or Project Management certification/experience is highly desirable. The successful candidate will demonstrate commitment to and ability to successfully advocate for diversity and the values of inclusion. This position requires a strong background in accounting procedures, supervisory/personnel procedures and administration procedures, as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills. The successful candidate should be a proven leader with experience managing employees with the ability to build efficient relationships and effectively facilitate communication.
The position will remain open until filled. Review of applications will begin June 1, 2021. Further details of the institute are at www.Huck.psu.edu. Informal inquiries about the position may be directed to Director Andrew Read (firstname.lastname@example.org), Associate Director Jim Marden (email@example.com), or Admin Coordinator Brittany Grimes (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Apply online at https://psu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PSU_Staff/job/University-Park-Campus/Managing-Director_REQ_0000012088-1
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.