Southern Oregon University
Position Number: A00414
Rate: $60,570 - $69,615 @ 1.0 FTE
The Payroll Department functions as part of the broader Business Services Administrative Support Unit for the University. The Payroll Department is responsible for handling all aspects involving the processing of payroll for the campus, once an individual has gained employment status from the Human Resources branch of the campus. This position is responsible for coordinating and administering payroll for all employees using a combination of set procedures within the guidelines provided by State and Federal regulations, University Shared Services Enterprise, and our internal policies set by University Administration. This position is responsible for the administration, review and certification of the monthly employee payroll and may include times of heavy data entry and analysis. This position is also responsible for all end of fiscal year/calendar year administration, reconciliation and reporting, supervision of payroll staff and other duties as assigned.
The Payroll Department supports institutional goals by ensuring the accuracy of all payroll earnings and deductions for all University employees, based on classification and compensation, benefits, policies and procedures, and the fundamental application of collective bargaining agreements. Decisions are made based on experience and knowledge of the services and programs.
•A bachelor’s degree or five years related work experience in payroll or accounting or an equivalent combination of related education and work experience in payroll or accounting.
•Experience in interpreting Federal/ State Labor Laws and collective bargaining agreements.
•Two years direct supervision experience.
Must be proficient in computer software applications with a familiarity and experience with payroll and human resource information systems, products including Microsoft Excel and Word. Strong analytical, communication, and mathematical skills as well as a commitment to continuous improvement and learning. Experience with a team work atmosphere, strong communication and customer service skills with a diverse population. Experience in dealing with a high level of confidentiality related to employee/employer issues and the ability to manage conflict and disagreements in a respectful and professional manner.
Experience in Human Resources or Payroll operations. Experience working in a high detailed work environment. Experience in processing and overseeing a larger payroll with 500+ employees. Experience with bargaining agreements, complex employment contracts, and interpreting and enforcing policy and procedures.
Experience with an integrated payroll data system such as Ellucian Banner HRIS. Experience in creating and enforcing policies and procedures. Experience in preparing and conducting training related to payroll issues.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Excellent communication skills; ability to effectively communicate information in a clear and understandable manner, both verbally and in writing.
• Demonstrated customer service experience requiring a very high level of diplomacy and professionalism to effectively handle a broad range of sensitive interpersonal situations.
• Demonstrated ability to interpret and consistently apply a wide variety of complex policies and procedures where specific guidelines may not always exist.
• Ability to work with frequent changes in policies and procedures, under pressure of deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
• Strong analytical and research skills; ability to gather, evaluate, and to develop well-reasoned conclusions and recommendations.
• Ability to proactively assess work operations and anticipate potential problems; ability to develop and implement strategies for preventing/resolving problems.
• Ability to effectively perform work of a highly sensitive and confidential nature that requires access to information. Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion, tact, and diplomacy.
• Initiative in independently planning, organizing, and performing work assignments within broadly defined parameters.
• Ability to work with a high level of productivity and accuracy/attention to detail.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to set own priorities to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines.
• Excellent computer skills and proficiency with a variety of computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, online systems, social media platforms, Internet as well as online calendaring and email.
• Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere in and outside the University with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds.
• Ability to adapt to and work effectively in a heavily bureaucratic environment which requires regular interaction with a number of levels within the organization and multiple outside agencies.
•Excellent computer skills and proficiency with a variety of computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, online systems, Internet as well as online calendaring and email.
•Effectively present information and respond to questions from a variety of audiences groups of managers, customers, and the general public.
• Working knowledge, or ability to quickly learn, university infrastructure, policies and procedures.
• Ability to provide training and direction to student assistants.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Each applicant is required to provide (as attachments to the online application) the following supplemental documents: (1) letter providing some detail of the applicant’s qualifications and interest in the position; (2) current resume/CV; and (3) the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references. If you are unable to attach the supplemental materials to the online application please contact Human Resources.
For inquiries and additional information, please contact: Human Resource Services via email at email@example.com or by phone at (541)552-8553.
•Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site for occasional professional development.
•Must be able to work additional hours and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
•Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment background check.
•Under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA):
-Position classification defined as “exempt” are not subject overtime
-Position classifications defined as “non exempt” *are *subject to overtime
•The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the Oregon Revised Statues and is required to comply with the requirements set forth by the Oregon department of Human Services.
Notice to Prospective Employees
Section 485 of the Higher Education Act, and The Federal Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act of 1990 (now referred to as the “Clery Act”),requires that prospective employees be notified of the availability of SOU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. The report provides the annual statistics and campus policies for the reporting of and responding to campus crimes and fires; access to campus facilities; conduct code and campus policies on use, possession and sale of drugs/alcohol; and educational/information programs to inform the campus community about campus security procedures and crime prevention.
An electronic copy of the Annual Security Report (ASR)can be accessed at the following link:
https://inside.sou.edu/assets/security/AnnualCrimeReportFinal.pdf. A physical copy of the ASR is available at no charge upon request. To request a copy please visit the Campus Public Safety Office at 382 Wightman Street, Ashland OR 97520. For more information call 541-552-6258, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applicants must apply online at https://jobs.sou.edu/postings/8835.
Southern Oregon University is a welcoming community committed to inclusive excellence and the celebration of diversity. Without diversity, our educational process is diminished. Working together in support of our commitment to diversity, we strengthen and enrich our role as learners, educators and members of a tightly connected global community. We encourage those who share in our commitment to diversity, to join our community and we expect all our employees to demonstrate an ability and desire to create an inclusive campus community.