Medical Assistant II
The Department of Surgery at Baylor College of Medicine is seeking a competent and reliable medical assistant to support the clinicians providing care in the Division of Vascular Surgery. This position will assist in the examination and treatment of patients under the direction of the APP Clinic Lead. Main responsibilities include interviewing patient, measuring vital signs (i.e. pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight and height), and preparing patient charts for assigned clinic.
The Medical Assistant, under supervision of the APP Clinic Lead (and practice providers) is responsible for assisting in the delivery of health care and patient care management. Candidate must possess a proactive, team-oriented attitude. Performs selected medical assistant and administrative duties using the principles of the patient-centered team-based care. It is the responsibility of this position to contribute to a patient centric and customer focused environment where the needs of the patients come first.
This position will support Vascular and Podiatry providers in a clinic setting.
- Manages in-basket messages and ensures that they are answered within 24 hours.
- Collects patient history and vitals and inputs into EPIC EMR.
- Notes the primary complaint/reason for patient’s visit.
- Sets up instruments and equipment for Physician.
- Acts as liaison between physician and patient by relaying pertinent information about test results and clinic visits.
- Maintains patient and service rooms in a neat and orderly condition.
- Schedules patient tests, procedures, and appointments in EPIC EMR and hospital EMR.
- Performs clerical/administrative responsibilities such as filing and/or scanning patient medical records, obtain lab/x-ray reports, hospital notes, and referral information.
- Takes clinic inventory and completes orders.
- Sorts and distributes clinic mail and medical records to the appropriate clinic personnel.
- High school diploma or GED and completion of a Medical Assistant Training program through an accredited institution.
- Two years of relevant experience.
- Current certification as a Medical Assistant through an accredited professional organization (AAMA, AMT, ARMA, NCCT, NAHP, NHA, NAHP, AMCA, or NRMA).
- Experience in a vascular or podiatry practice.
- Bilingual Spanish-speaking preferred.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.