Biologist for Cell Culture Process Development
We are seeking to hire a biologist to be stationed at the NIST Gaithersburg Campus located in Gaithersburg, Maryland, close to Washington DC. The person hired for this position will help to develop bioprocess pipelines to generate cellular starting materials for high-quality cell-based experiments and biological reference materials. The person will also develop quality control procedures to provide detailed provenance information about the cell cultures.
The position will be hired through Johns Hopkins University under NIST’s Professional Research Experience Program.
- Advanced degree (MS or PhD) in biology, bioengineering, immunology, biochemistry or related field
- Experience with mammalian cell line development or cell growth optimization.
- Familiarity with culturing different cell lines (Jurkat, CHO, HEK293, VERO, Cancer, Stem, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to use advanced instrumentation and associated software for cell-line and bioprocess characterization (i.e. flow cytometry, cellular imaging, viability, etc).
- Experience with single-use technologies (multilayer plates, large flasks) for large-scale cell culture
- Demonstrated ability to write technical protocols, present results and generate data for reports.
- Demonstrated ability for critical thinking, innovation and problem solving.
- Ability to work independently and with a multi-disciplinary research team
- Experience using spreadsheets and statistical software packages for data analysis.
- Implementation of large-scale cell culture technologies
- Minimum 3+ years of cell expansion and harvest experience.
- Familiarity with process controls to monitor culture process
- Interest in developing high-quality and robust cell culture protocols.
- Knowledge of process development for GMP manufacturing.
- Familiarity with 3D microcarrier process development workflows.
- Experience working with biotechnology industry-like teams and managing projects.
- Familiarity with stem cell and/or immune cell workflows.
Interested candidates should submit applications, including a cover letter, full curriculum vitae, and names and contact information of three professional references.
The Johns Hopkins University is committed to equal opportunity for its faculty, staff, and students. To that end, the university does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, marital status, pregnancy, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or other legally protected characteristic. The university is committed to providing qualified individuals access to all academic and employment programs, benefits and activities on the basis of demonstrated ability, performance and merit without regard to personal factors that are irrelevant to the program involved.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Gaithersburg
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Gaithersburg
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Gaithersburg
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Gaithersburg
- Biotechnology & Bioengineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Gaithersburg