The University of Colorado Boulder Recreation Services encourages applications for a Fitness Coordinator ! This position reports directly to the Assistant Director, Fitness & Wellness, and provides assistance and leadership specific to Fitness, Wellness, and instructional programs.
The Fitness Coordinator oversees approximately 65 students, non-student and volunteer part-time instructors, and personal trainers. The position is responsible for an assigned budget to include student employment and operational expenses. Strong focus on program development, staff hiring, training, coaching, and evaluation.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
On behalf of the University of Colorado Boulder Recreation Services, welcome to THE REC. Recreation Services is a valued campus resource and partner dedicated to supporting your success. We offer a variety of high-quality, convenient, innovative, and inclusive ways to help you connect with yourself and your campus community. Play and Find Your Fit at one of the nation’s premier collegiate recreation centers. THE REC is a LEED Platinum (highest ranking sustainable design) facility with over 300,000 square feet of recreation and fitness activity space. Explore and try something new from ice skating, indoor rock climbing, team sports, yoga, enjoying the Buff Pool and so much more! We are a student fee-funded service and our student-led, CUSG Recreation Board and the team of experts will ensure we meet the evolving needs of a dynamic recreation, fitness, and wellness service that supports student engagement, academic and personal success. CU at THE REC!
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Fitness, Wellness, and Instruction Program Development and Delivery
- Continue the development and implementation of innovative and inclusive fitness and instruction program offerings.
- Manage and continue to develop the personal training program through the supervision of personal trainers, small group training program development, provide continuing education opportunities, and serve as a mentor.
- Understand and train personal trainers in the use of InBody and Micro-Fit for comprehensive client fitness assessments.
- Ensure all Fitness & Wellness programs include a diverse range of group fitness, mind-body, indoor cycle, educational seminars and clinics, fitness assessments, personal training, and instructional activities for the CU campus.
- Teach fitness instructor and personal trainer non-credit educational courses using the American Council on Exercise curriculum.
- Conduct regular assessment of program success and needs to include participant surveys, formal and informal staff evaluations, etc.
- Become familiar and utilize systems such as Fusion, Group Ex-Pro and Connect2 to support FitWell program operations.
- Assist with maintaining statistical data for activities and budget purposes.
- Perform other duties as assigned to contribute to the achievement of the department and campus goals.
- Work in collaboration with Student Affairs Communication to ensure successful marketing and promotion of FitWell programs and events.
- Lead all aspects of hiring, training, scheduling, payroll, evaluations, promotions, of all instructors and personal trainers.
- Responsible for development and review of programs and services to ensure delivery of high-quality fitness and instruction classes.
- Track staff certifications and attendance for required University and Rec Center meetings and training (CPR, Discrimination and Harassment, Customer Service, Risk Management, Diversity Training, New Employee Orientation, and area-specific training).
- Build and implement instructor and personal trainer skill training each semester for staff development.
- Research national trends to accommodate members' interests and schedules.
- Represent Recreation Services on campus-wide committees and initiatives.
- Host, present and serve on committees at regional and national workshops, conferences, and associations.
- Assist with program budget management with an approximate annual self-generating revenue of $235,000 through purchase recommendations and program development.
- Maintain, track, and reconcile monthly expenses to include student payroll and operating expenses.
- Create budget projections and assist in preparing the fiscal year budget.
Equipment and Facility Operations
- Collaborate with Facilities Services Coordinator on projects and special events to support operations and programs.
- Maintain records and inventory of equipment needed for the program, group fitness classes, and personal training. Make recommendations on purchases to ensure high-quality delivery of programs and services.
- Maintain and troubleshoot AV needs for studios, make recommendations on purchases when needed to maintain the best possible experience for participants in FitWell programs.
Recreation Program and Facilities Quality Control
- Participate in the development of ideas and suggestions for programs and facility improvement.
- The position is required to attend Recreation Center classes or programs and use various facilities and equipment periodically to ensure they are meeting or exceeding the standards of the department.
Other Duties as Assigned
- Collaborate with all Rec Center staff on projects and special events to support operations and programming.
What You Should Know
Work hours are primarily Monday-Friday, 11 am-7 pm, some evening and weekend hours which are dependent upon the University calendar and department events.
What We Can Offer
The hiring salary is $45,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Collaborative. Be Supportive. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university in recreation, kinesiology, sport management, or related field.
- One year of experience as a Graduate Assistant, or as a professional, supervising employees, interns, and /or volunteers in a recreation setting; or as professional planning, implementing, and supervising a variety of fitness, wellness, and instruction programs within a recreation setting. An equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute.
- Holds current National Certification in Group Fitness from ACE, NASAM, or equivalent.
What You Will Need
- Work independently and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Think critically and make independent decisions.
- Thorough and detailed documentation.
- Communicate effectively in high-stress/pressure situations.
- Organize, prioritize and perform multiple tasks with little or no supervision.
- Strengths to leverage and deliver mission-driven results.
- Work hard, set high standards, and complete tasks accurately and timely.
- Participate in or assume a leadership role with projects, activities, events, and committees for Recreation Services.
- Support colleagues and actively contribute to a collegial work environment by demonstrating diplomacy, tact, and professionalism.
- Demonstrate active engagement and support with the diversity of individual opinions and perspectives.
- Active engagement and support of the department’s Mission, Vision, and Values.
- Develop and maintain collaborative, supportive, and professional working relationships in an inclusive environment.
- Strong commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Oral and written communication skills.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Supervisory experience with a large team of part-time students and employees.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college/university in recreation, kinesiology, sport management, or related field.
- Experience with the following:
- Serving clients as a certified personal trainer.
- Working with Fusion, Group Ex-Pro, Micro-Fit, and/or InBody.
- Developing fitness instructors and/or personal trainers.
- Budget development and management experience.
- Holds the following certifications:
- Specialty certification in Personal Training, Health Coach, or similar.
- Current CPR/AED certification with American Red Cross or American Heart Association.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by May 10, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology & Physical Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Recreation & Leisure Studies Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder